How do you track all your applications and their progress?

Maria Potts

Aug 3, 2020
Hi everyone, I know a lot of us are sending a lot of applications which involve a lot of research and sometimes it gets hard to track all of them.

I am preparing for my research and I was just wondering what others use to track them? Like deadlines, priority list, what stage you got to etc.

Thanks!

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
I made a colour-coded excel spreadsheet that I updated throughout the cycle. I listed the firm name, whether I was applying to TC or VS, the deadline and whether I had had it reviewed by before submitting. I highlighted each line depending on the stage the application was at: yellow = application in progress, blue = Application sent, red = rejection at application stage, green = assessment centre, purple = vacation scheme :)

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi everyone, I know a lot of us are sending a lot of applications which involve a lot of research and sometimes it gets hard to track all of them.

I am preparing for my research and I was just wondering what others use to track them? Like deadlines, priority list, what stage you got to etc.

Thanks!

Hi Maria, similarly to NicN, I also created an excel spreadsheet that I kept updating throughout the cycle. In my spreadsheet I listed:
    • the firm's name
    • percentage of trainees recruited from VS
    • opening time
    • closing time
    • rolling/non-rolling
    • steps in the application (e.g. application, on-line tests, video interview, assessment center, etc.)
    • whether I had some interaction with them
    • progress - drafting/application sent/test to do/awaiting decision/interview etc.

For the most recent recruitment cycle, I tried something a bit different and it actually worked for me in terms of planning & writing the application, but it may be a bit confusing for some. I reviewed all steps in the applications so I knew what was required and could easily track what else I need to do; I attach an older working version of my document so that it gives you an idea of what mean. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• VacationScheme_Plan.docx
      29.3 KB · Views: 121
    Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.