How important are grades for law firms?

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hey guys!

So I just completed my second year of a non-law (politics) degree (Russell group uni, if that is relevant) and I am currently planning out my application strategy for the upcoming academic year. I just wanted to know about how much firms care about specific module grades? Or to be more blunt, if somewhat mediocre grades should mean that I should lower my ambitions?

I am on track to achieve a high 2:1 in my degree, but got low 2:1 (62%) grades in 2 modules, and I got a high 2:1 (68%) for first year. My A-level results were good, but not exceptional by any standards, and the same is the case for my GCSE grades. The issue is that one of these grades was in a law outside option (EU law specifically) so I am worried that that might weaken my application.

Some law firms (Slaughter and May, Cleary and Sullivan and Cromwell, from what I have heard) are quite picky about individual grades. I am keen on applying to Skadden, Cleary, Slaughter and May, Freshfields and Hogan Lovells. Do my grades mean that I need to lower my ambitions, and apply to other firms?

In terms of work experience, I have undertaken two work experience/shadowing schemes at law firms in my city, and two internships in an asset management and a PE firm. For extra-curriculars, I've set up a society which I currently lead, and held positions of responsibility in two other societies at university. I've also participated in commercial law competitions.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thank you

NAremu

Feb 26, 2018
Hey guys!

So I just completed my second year of a non-law (politics) degree (Russell group uni, if that is relevant) and I am currently planning out my application strategy for the upcoming academic year. I just wanted to know about how much firms care about specific module grades? Or to be more blunt, if somewhat mediocre grades should mean that I should lower my ambitions?

I am on track to achieve a high 2:1 in my degree, but got low 2:1 (62%) grades in 2 modules, and I got a high 2:1 (68%) for first year. My A-level results were good, but not exceptional by any standards, and the same is the case for my GCSE grades. The issue is that one of these grades was in a law outside option (EU law specifically) so I am worried that that might weaken my application.

Some law firms (Slaughter and May, Cleary and Sullivan and Cromwell, from what I have heard) are quite picky about individual grades. I am keen on applying to Skadden, Cleary, Slaughter and May, Freshfields and Hogan Lovells. Do my grades mean that I need to lower my ambitions, and apply to other firms?

In terms of work experience, I have undertaken two work experience/shadowing schemes at law firms in my city, and two internships in an asset management and a PE firm. For extra-curriculars, I've set up a society which I currently lead, and held positions of responsibility in two other societies at university. I've also participated in commercial law competitions.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thank you

If it helps - I have similar grades to you (two high 2:1s and two low 2:1s), although I studied law. And I interviewed at similar UK firms (CC) and US firms (Cleary/Kirkland). I was rejected from Slaughters, it's difficult to say whether that was because of my grades - I'm not sure I did the right cover letter format.

One of those firms did ask about my lower module grades but they didn't seem too hung up on it because it wasn't that relevant. I think the same would apply to you - they will probably ask about it, but because it's in EU law and not say contract/corporate law, I don't think it's a big deal.

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
If it helps - I have similar grades to you (two high 2:1s and two low 2:1s), although I studied law. And I interviewed at similar UK firms (CC) and US firms (Cleary/Kirkland). I was rejected from Slaughters, it's difficult to say whether that was because of my grades - I'm not sure I did the right cover letter format.

One of those firms did ask about my lower module grades but they didn't seem too hung up on it because it wasn't that relevant. I think the same would apply to you - they will probably ask about it, but because it's in EU law and not say contract/corporate law, I don't think it's a big deal.

Thank you so much! And well done on getting interviews with CC, Kirkland and Cleary. Cleary in particular has an extremely low application to interview conversion rate, so that's amazing.

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thank you so much Selma! This makes me feel a lot more confident. I'll make sure to prepare a few answers if they ask about these grades.

Well done to you for your application outcomes, and good luck!

Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.