How 'performance' impacts what we do and the way we work with clients?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Came across this as part of a 300 words questions, performance being one of the firms core values.

I was curious as to what exactly people think 'performance' means in this context?

I was thinking along the lines of maximizing client value?

Reactions: Gareth Sloman

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Came across this as part of a 300 words questions, performance being one of the firms core values.

I was curious as to what exactly people think 'performance' means in this context?

I was thinking along the lines of maximizing client value?

Is this NRF by any chance?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Is that the entirety of the question?

Seems pretty difficult!

No not quite, the full question is..

Reed Smith's core values are Integrity, Quality, Teamwork and Respect, Performance, Innovation and Improvement. How do you think they impact what we do and the way we work with our clients?

I just picked out 'performance' aspect of the question as it wasnt glaringly obvious to me exactly what they were getting at with it.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Oh I see! Sounds pretty difficult, almost as if they want you to pinpoint each one and give your reasoning.

I'd probably say with performance, it's what they achieve for the client so like you said, the value. I'd personally zoom into one value-giving aspect of RS's legal services, like their legal tech.

My only problem would be to not step on the toes of the other values because I see a lot of cross-over between quality and performance. But, having said that, they could always flow into each other in your answer, if that makes sense!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Ah ok. @Oliver Gilliland I asked because NRF had a weird/interesting question a few years ago for a competition. I remember friends talking about it - it was comparing the firm to a F1 racing team. From what they said being involved, it was essentially getting at service delivery, delivering/achieving results, attention to detail, integrated global teams, organisation.

I think it's helpful to look at a semi similar way. In this context performance to deliver a legal service to clients. And so what skills are required as a lawyer. What do clients expect. How to meet expectations and maintain relationships.

I agree. To me there is overlap with their values like quality and teamwork.

Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.