How to answer application q

lb0810

May 11, 2021
An application asks, 'Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does this interest you and why do you consider it to be significant?' - how would I approach this? Could I discuss Oatly's IP dispute with Glebe Farms, or does it have to be more like a piece of 'news' (not like a current legal issue, dispute)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
An application asks, 'Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does this interest you and why do you consider it to be significant?' - how would I approach this? Could I discuss Oatly's IP dispute with Glebe Farms, or does it have to be more like a piece of 'news' (not like a current legal issue, dispute)?
Either is fine here - I don’t know enough about that particular matter, but just make sure you can explain why it is significant. Eg is the dispute ground breaking in some way or likely to change how firms advise clients etc?

The key part of this question is “why does it interest you” though. Just pick something you are genuinely interested in.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    As Jess has said, you can definitely discuss a legal dispute here but since it's a question aimed at testing your commercial awareness, try to draw out commercial factors affecting the dispute or any significant outcomes that would affect other businesses in the same sector/market.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.