How to approach a business case study

James Smith

Jun 19, 2020
Hello everyone!

I’m an enthusiastic follower of this forum, though I haven’t posted anything before. I’ve a TC interview with a Silver Circle firm early next week, which will include a business case study. We haven’t been given additional information on it, so I suppose no specific preparation is possible, such as reading up on M&A. What’re your tips on how to approach a business case study? How do you structure your thinking and answer, for instance with “PESTLE”? etc.

I agree this is a very board question, but any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

James

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
PESTLE / SWOT is a fine structure. However, it is often the case very hard to apply within the time constraints, and it may detract from the 'key' opportunities and 'key' concerns in play. Always try and think about the client (and other stakeholders involved). Try to consider whether you are acting as a business adviser or a law firm, and then use your capacity / capabilities to inform your answer / solution. Try to be able to identify the biggest concern for your client.

Reactions: W and Jaysen

Danielle

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Oct 20, 2018
Hi! I structured mine using SWOT (so I used each part as a subheading), and then fed PESTLE and Porters Five Forces analysis into the SWOT structure. I found this to be particularly beneficial as the PESTLE and Porters 5 considerations really did fill up the bulk of the content for my answer!

Reactions: Simon Evans and julie1995

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi! I structured mine using SWOT (so I used each part as a subheading), and then fed PESTLE and Porters Five Forces analysis into the SWOT structure. I found this to be particularly beneficial as the PESTLE and Porters 5 considerations really did fill up the bulk of the content for my answer!
Thanks for this! What’s the main difference between the T (threats) in SWOT and the considerations taken in porters fives forces?

Danielle

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Oct 20, 2018
Thanks for this! What’s the main difference between the T (threats) in SWOT and the considerations taken in porters fives forces?

I would just say mainly that threats in SWOT can go beyond just the considerations in Porter's 5 and consider wider issues, as Porter's 5 Forces contains quite specific considerations. But the two definitely overlap, a SWOT analysis just has the potential to include more issues than Porter's 5.

Reactions: W

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
I would just say mainly that threats in SWOT can go beyond just the considerations in Porter's 5 and consider wider issues, as Porter's 5 Forces contains quite specific considerations. But the two definitely overlap, a SWOT analysis just has the potential to include more issues than Porter's 5.
Got ya, thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.