How to reflect work experience

Giovanni Figa

Oct 1, 2019
I’m a little unsure how to do this in an application form.

Should I use bullet points or flowing paragraphs? How much detail should I go into where there is no word limit? Explain the role in depth or keep the actual job description to a minimum but accompany it with a few key achievements?

Thanks in advance

Giovanni

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018

Should I use bullet points or flowing paragraphs? How much detail should I go into where there is no word limit? Explain the role in depth or keep the actual job description to a minimum but accompany it with a few key achievements?

Thanks in advance

Giovanni

What does it ask for?

CC asks for role and description etc and has no word limit. When I asked about it, they said to go into further detail. Using STAR, think of examples and quantifiable outcomes where possible. Some places ask what you gained out of the role, like Reed Smith, make sure you address the question as some of them ask slightly different things. Also, try and extract transferable skills/competencies the firm asks for.

Flowing paragraphs unless stated otherwise.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018

Thanks in advance

Giovanni

I would recommend flowing paragraphs. A grad recruiter at Linklaters (a couple years ago) told me that they were always quite disappointed when a candidate simply bullet-pointed their work experience without much detail.

That said, I don't think its necessary to wax eloquent about the job description - I would just outline what my basic responsibilities and day-to-day tasks were. If possible, I would mention one or two key projects I worked on, but some pieces of work experience I had were quite short so I would just state briefly what I did and left it at that. I don't think you should stretch out the detail if you genuinely don't have much to say about a particular piece of work experience.

Hope that helps!

Giovanni Figa

Oct 1, 2019
Thanks guys

It simply asks you to describe your duties and responsibilities. I'll write a few sentences describing the role and add three key achievements for each,

I contacted the law firm in question and they confirmed flowing paragraphs trump bullet points.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.