How to talk about law firms work?

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice when talking about the quality of work at a law firm.

How you go about explaining why that law firm in particular offers a high quality/diverse array of legal work?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hey!

So my advice would be is not to use that kinda language. Not because it's inaccurate, but because it's super generic. Firms themselves say that their peer firms do high quality/diverse array of legal work so for us to say it as applicants means we're just being generic.

What will be better is if you pinpoint what exactly was high quality and diverse and use that instead of those words. And then tie that to yourself e.g. why that work in particular or why work like that in particular.

Hope that helps!

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice when talking about the quality of work at a law firm.

How you go about explaining why that law firm in particular offers a high quality/diverse array of legal work?
For a firms sector strengths look at Chambers and Legal 500.
Then you (as SLKE...etc...97) correctly said, how does that influence your desire to work there? Does it interest you, if so, how?
I’d say forget about the ‘diverse array’ because a lot of firms practice in many fields, it doesn’t really say anything (in my opinion). Focus on their strengths, how it appeals, and why it appeals.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hey guys,

Hi Everyone,

Great question and responses!

I agree with all the comments so far. Be wary of using words such as high quality or diverse because truly, all firms take on high-quality and diverse work.

I think when talking about the work done by firms, the strongest answers are those that give an in-depth and personal take on why the work is such.

To do this, when looking at a firm's recent deals and awards ask yourself:

What market/ industry was this achieved in, and what are the current trends e.g. is this an emerging market, a declining market?

Was this the first deal of this kind and why? When was the last/similar deal completed and what were the reasons for the time lag?

Was this deal particularly more complex and why? (Consider cultural, financial, environmental, tax and competition implications)

Why was X firm able to succeed on this deal (consider location e.g. are they the only firm with practising capacity in that region, and practice area e.g. does X firm offer a unique service to clients that cannot be offered elsewhere)

I think if you approach your research for this question from this angle, this will really help to tailor your answer!

Hope this helps! Feel free to drop any additional questions you may have.

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Everyone,

Great question and responses!

I agree with all the comments so far. Be wary of using words such as high quality or diverse because truly, all firms take on high-quality and diverse work.

I think when talking about the work done by firms, the strongest answers are those that give an in-depth and personal take on why the work is such.

To do this, when looking at a firm's recent deals and awards ask yourself:

What market/ industry was this achieved in, and what are the current trends e.g. is this an emerging market, a declining market?

Was this the first deal of this kind and why? When was the last/similar deal completed and what were the reasons for the time lag?

Was this deal particularly more complex and why? (Consider cultural, financial, environmental, tax and competition implications)

Why was X firm able to succeed on this deal (consider location, e.g. are they the only firm with practising capacity in that region and practice area, e.g. does X firm offer a unique service to clients that cannot be offered elsewhere)

I think if you approach your research for this question from this angle, this will really help to tailor your answer!

Hope this helps! Feel free to drop any additional questions you may have.
    Totally agree with Naomi's advice here.

The one thing I would be tempted to add is to consider whether a given firm has any particular practice area focus which aligns with your particular interests. For example, Vinson & Elkins have a substantial Energy sector focus, Goodwin Proctor have a substantial maritime practice, etc. If your firm has such a specific focus, try and relate your answer to why you're specifically interested in that area.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.