How to write a client memo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eamon, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Eamon

Eamon Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Alot of people are having/going to have assessment centres. Whilst it's not really possible to prepare for the written exercises, it seems a lot of them involve writing a client memo.

I was wondering what is the best way to structure a client memo? I'm still slightly confused as to what the purpose of a memo is! If any trainees/vac schemers have done any, think their opinions could be really useful!
    Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've had a search and it doesn't seem as if this has been discussed before! Apologies if it has!

2. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Conciseness and structure
    Clarify any ambiguous elements or what the clients might not know/or understand
    Focus on advice/actions

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Don't worry about this for an AC, but just for reference - a law firm's template memo might begin something like this:

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 22.14.42.png

(Copied from here: https://info.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/pdf/perspec/1999-fall/1999-fall-11.pdf).

If it's a report/a summary of some legal research, you might want to ask yourself: What is the purpose of this memo? What is the best way to lay out the information (e.g. clear subheadings/a summary of your findings at the beginning)?

• Like Like x 1
  4. AJ

AJ Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    From experience the structure is key, especially if you are then asked to present on the memo. It will be easier to use as a presentation tool if you have structured it well, and the headings act as a guide to your presentation.

• Useful Useful x 1