How will firms consider mitigating circumstances?

cxcxcxz

Jun 13, 2022
Hi all,

I am planning to apply for vac schemes in September and I just finished the year two of my bachelor degree. My grades this year are not good (I'm expecting low 2:1) but its largely because I got COVID twice during my revision and exam period. Both times I had really disruptive symptoms. However, I do not have a doctor's note or whatever because I tested using the home test-kit and my GP told me to take paracetamol and don't go to the practice. My symptoms weren't severe enough to get hospitalized so I stayed at home and didn't ask for any medical help according to NHS advice.

I was wondering, in this case, can I write COVID in my mitigating circumstance to explain my bad grades to the commercial law firms? will they ask for medical proof (that I will not be able to provide)? and are big commercial firms actually considerate of these types of mitigating circumstances?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am planning to apply for vac schemes in September and I just finished the year two of my bachelor degree. My grades this year are not good (I'm expecting low 2:1) but its largely because I got COVID twice during my revision and exam period. Both times I had really disruptive symptoms. However, I do not have a doctor's note or whatever because I tested using the home test-kit and my GP told me to take paracetamol and don't go to the practice. My symptoms weren't severe enough to get hospitalized so I stayed at home and didn't ask for any medical help according to NHS advice.

I was wondering, in this case, can I write COVID in my mitigating circumstance to explain my bad grades to the commercial law firms? will they ask for medical proof (that I will not be able to provide)? and are big commercial firms actually considerate of these types of mitigating circumstances?
Can someone from your university verify it? Did you flag to your university that you were ill?

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all,

Hi @cxcxcxz,

I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. I am really sorry to hear that you were so unwell.

In addition to Jess' comment above, I was wondering whether you might be able to ask your GP for a note written retrospectively (given that they suggested that you only take paracetamol). If they saw you, there will be contemporaneous notes on your condition that will be accessible to them, and I would have thought it would be entirely possible that they would write one for you.

Please do reach out if you would like further support with anything @cxcxcxz!

Reactions: AvniD and Jessica Booker

EllieBranagh

Sep 29, 2023
I am in the same situation but in A-Level grades. I suffered really irractic seizures during two of my A-Level exams, which tampered with my memory and made me extremely tired. The whole situation was really embarrassing and impacted my grades C and D verse my A* in Law. I am conflicted about whether to mention the event because it was so damaging, will employers see my seizures as a risk even though they are controlled much better now, or just whether it will show determination to complete my exams rather than leaving with one A-Level. I just feel my condition has hindered my chances in graduate apprenticeship or TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am in the same situation but in A-Level grades. I suffered really irractic seizures during two of my A-Level exams, which tampered with my memory and made me extremely tired. The whole situation was really embarrassing and impacted my grades C and D verse my A* in Law. I am conflicted about whether to mention the event because it was so damaging, will employers see my seizures as a risk even though they are controlled much better now, or just whether it will show determination to complete my exams rather than leaving with one A-Level. I just feel my condition has hindered my chances in graduate apprenticeship or TC.
You should definitely include it - this won’t be seen as an issue, especially given the seizures started at that time and you are now under appropriate medical supervision and treatment.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.