i just wanna say how much i hate sjts lol

divaination

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    i read through a report of a company that provides these sjts to GR and they claim their tests help make sure the candidate is aligned with the company's goals and values and all that ... ngl it really sounds like some really b.s. psychosocial analysis 😭 i smash every other type of aptitude test but *this* really stumps me and i never get better at it! :') in the past i did around 10 practice tests but consistently scored a solid 'C' or 40%-60%. i wonder if it's just me that finds it impossible despite prepping for it. i've had to limit my applications to firms that don't have sjts, it's working out very well, but i can't help thinking that i should be able to handle sjts cuz they seem like the easiest type of aptitude test to pass, yknow?

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Word, consistently get full marks or 90-99th percentile on WG, score very well on tests like that given by Ashurst but have consistently failed SJTs - even HSF’s which is apparently easy.

i genuinely want to be in a meeting where a firm decides to use SJT for their recruitment process and see what justification or research they use.

interviews are a notoriously bad way of assessing a candidates productivity/suitability but I’m convinced these are even worse.

divaination

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    Word, consistently get full marks or 90-99th percentile on WG, score very well on tests like that given by Ashurst but have consistently failed SJTs - even HSF’s which is apparently easy.

i genuinely want to be in a meeting where a firm decides to use SJT for their recruitment process and see what justification or research they use.

interviews are a notoriously bad way of assessing a candidates productivity/suitability but I’m convinced these are even worse.
    yes @ the HSF one 😭 i did that and got so discouraged because it was the only one to reject me at the test stage. i thought it was easy when i did it but of course failed so hard lol

yeah, what kind of science supports sjts and their link to job performance? sighh

interviews are much better imo because i get to really communicate my personality and working style but sjts are multiple choice, they don't even assess the thought process behind chosen actions

don't worry, with or without autism i would struggle at these so much too ;w; you are a very capable candidate, many firms rightfully don't use sjts, i was just frustrated by their existence lol. do they make accommodations for you because of autism? how can they prove themselves to be inclusive ? ://

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    SJTs aren't really used as a predictor of performance in the job, as ultimately it is not assessing your abilities.

Any evidence on their suitability/validity is typically aligned to whether the firm has a higher conversion rate in the rest of the recruitment process and whether the hiring managers are happy with making the decisions. However, they also have checked validity to see if those with a higher SJT score stay longer in the organisation.

SJTs aren't really about finding the best talent in my eyes, its more about finding the talent that most strongly don't align with your organisation's values and removing them from the process. So to me that creates a very different outcome/approach that trying to find the most aligned candidates. You are removing the greatest risks rather than trying to capture the best returns.

divaination

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    that's really insightful!! super fair actually. though, a C grade in any sort of test is kind of a red flag, if two candidates differed by only the SJT score it would influence the onboarding decision, and that's what im thinking about

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    that's really insightful!! super fair actually. though, a C grade in any sort of test is kind of a red flag, if two candidates differed by only the SJT score it would influence the onboarding decision, and that's what im thinking about
    Candidates never just differ by a test result (no matter what that test/assessment is). There are always differences between candidates that influence decisions no matter what a score on an assessment says.

SJT scores won’t be looked at by the time you get to hiring decisions/end of the recruitment process. Far more predictive data will be used by then.

They will influence your ability to get your foot in the door (eg your application reviewed and considered) but won’t influence the process beyond that.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.