ILBF Essay Competition - Paid-for WE in London prize

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
Hi all,

I hope that this isn’t against forum rules (I had a check and it didn’t seem to be, however let me if it is!) but I thought I would share this competition as I imagine it’d be of interest to some people on here!

The International Law Book Facility (ILBF) is running a student essay competition this year to celebrate its 15th anniversary. It’s a great opportunity to engage with some key topics in the legal industry (such as tech and diversity) so would help with developing and demonstrating your commercial awareness! The essay topic is:

“Looking back from 2030 what should we do now to transform the legal profession (including by the use of machine learning technology) to ensure access to justice for all and that the profession is as diverse as the communities and businesses it serves.”

Max word limit: 2000

Here’s a breakdown of some key info about the competition:
- The prize is a week-long internship in 2022 at international law firm Brown Rudnick’s London office, with £500 to cover expenses;
- The winning essay will be published in the IBA Litigation Committee Newsletter & on the websites of the ILBF and Brown Rudnick;
- The 2 runners-up will have their essays published on the websites of the ILBF and Brown Rudnick;
- The competition is only open to law undergraduates; and
- Deadline for submissions is 28th February.

If you’re interested in entering, you can find the full details here: https://ilbf.org.uk/ilbf-student-essay-competition/

I am one of the junior judges which means I will be looking at the entries after the deadline and shortlisting entries! They will then be passed on to The Rt Hon. the Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd (former Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales) and Professor Richard Susskind OBE who will select the winners. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me on here! Should you decide to enter, good luck :)

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
This sounds great, and I'd love to participate! I graduated a month ago however - I reckon fresh grads aren't eligible to participate, but can I confirm this with you as a junior judge Yas?
Hi, this is a good question - on the face of it you wouldn’t be eligible, but I don’t think we had anticipated that people would graduate earlier than the summer! I have asked one of the more senior judges and will let you know what the response is :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Hi, this is a good question - on the face of it you wouldn’t be eligible, but I don’t think we had anticipated that people would graduate earlier than the summer! I have asked one of the more senior judges and will let you know what the response is :)
Thanks for asking on my behalf!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.