International student applying for TC

Mahak

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2022
Hi,

If I am an International student applying for a Direct training Contract instead of a Vacation scheme with no work experience in UK, will I be in a disadvantaged position? Considering most of the firms are not ready to assist in Visa sponsorships for Vacation Schemes.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

If I am an International student applying for a Direct training Contract instead of a Vacation scheme with no work experience in UK, will I be in a disadvantaged position? Considering most of the firms are not ready to assist in Visa sponsorships for Vacation Schemes.
You don't need UK work experience to apply for direct TC, although it does help to demonstrate that you know how law firms in the UK operate and what the general commercial state of affairs is. You can demonstrate this in other ways, through your research and by networking with law firms by attending online events, webinars, reaching out to current trainees on LinkedIn/through their Insta blogs etc.

As an international applicant, applying through the direct TC route may actually be more advantageous than the vac scheme route. Highly recommend reading this post here (if you haven't already) to understand if this is a good route for you- keep up updated on what you end up choosing!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.