Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I understand my posts may have upset/angered people.

I will always tell people straight on here and that often means telling people messages they don’t want to hear. However, I am genuinely trying to help people.

Prior to this craziness I dealt with many instances where people’s personal circumstances meant things were more difficult for them in a vacation scheme than others. The only way I could help them is if they asked for support. I think people would be surprised how many who work in law firms will have had similar challenges - not everyone who works in a firm is a fee earner or a trainee that have the luxury of fleeing to Mum and Dad’s in suburbia.

I can’t thank you enough for your willingness to help us all. Your wisdom and knowledge is invaluable and your honesty a tonic.
Thank you

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
is that because it is shorter, or is the hourly/day rate half?

Yes, I think so. There are now 5 days max (3 classroom, 2 work shadowing in the Winter). This would seemingly explain it.

They have backed themselves into an odd position, however, as they are not going to be interviewing until the Winter. This obviously poses a problem for persons who have to respond to their TC offers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, I think so. There are now 5 days max (3 classroom, 2 work shadowing in the Winter). This would seemingly explain it.

They have backed themselves into an odd position, however, as they are not going to be interviewing until the Winter. This obviously poses a problem for persons who have to respond to their TC offers.

makes sense then if they are shorter (unfortunately).

I suspect they may try to squeeze in work shadowing earlier (if they can) if people have other offers, or would just hope people renege earlier offers

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020

I’m also curious to know how it works for people that need to still do the GDL. I understand that there’s the accelerated one, but that then means that people on the course won’t have time to work while studying. Are they going to bump up the grants they offer as a result? I’m not on the scheme, but I’m on LLs and worried they’d do something similar. Would be impossible to sustain living in London for most people without a source of income and that grant definitely wouldn’t cover it, so it appears to seriously disadvantage people who don’t have parents pay their way!

Last edited:
Reactions: NourJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m also curious to know how it works for people that need to still do the GDL. I understand that there’s the accelerated one, but that then means that people on the course won’t have time to work while studying. Are they going to bump up the grants they offer as a result? I’m not on the scheme, but I’m on LLs and worried they’d do something similar. Would be impossible to sustain living in London for most people without a source of I come and that grant definitely wouldn’t cover it, so it appears to seriously disadvantage people who don’t have parents pay their way!

they might put you on the SQE anyway, so no need for the GDL...

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
makes sense then if they are shorter (unfortunately).

I suspect they may try to squeeze in work shadowing earlier (if they can) if people have other offers, or would just hope people renege earlier offers

Perhaps. I do get the impression that CC is moving away from VS's though as a recruitment tool. They only have one summer VS this with 20 people on it. They seem to be recruiting primarily from SPARK, Direct TC and their new scheme.

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Perhaps. I do get the impression that CC is moving away from VS's though as a recruitment tool. They only have one summer VS this with 20 people on it. They seem to be recruiting primarily from SPARK, Direct TC and their new scheme.

well there’s only sense to pay a rate by a day rate. There’s no logic to pay someone for several weeks if they are only doing a few days.

although vacation schemes are a great way for candidate to experience the firm, they aren’t always the best way to recruit people (strangely). If you have a robust recruitment process, you can rely on on vac scheme methods.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
just wondering, why aren't vac schemes the best way to recruit?

resource intensive
You can get people on them who use them just to build their CV
They sometimes give people a false sense of what life as a trainee/junior lawyer is truly like

From my perspective, they are great - they are a fantastic way to recruit generally. But they don’t always work for individual employers, and if other programmes/recruitment drives show greater levels of success, I can understand why an employer chooses to move away from internships.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Lauren2, Zoo and jan28

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi Jessica, in a previous post you said that assessing people for a TC vs a VS is completely different, even if the application process and assessment centres are in theory identical. What distinguishes what firms are looking for - is it just a more polished product, or is it more legal knowledge etc? Thanks

Reactions: Quanto881766

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Jessica, in a previous post you said that assessing people for a TC vs a VS is completely different, even if the application process and assessment centres are in theory identical. What distinguishes what firms are looking for - is it just a more polished product, or is it more legal knowledge etc? Thanks
    Think it tends to be that with TCs they will maybe push and challenge your motivations a bit more because they need to be sure you’re committed as trainees are an expensive investment in the firm’s future. :) interviewers tend not to look for legal knowledge unless you are a law student perhaps in a technical interview or if you have recently written a dissertation for law but even then, this tends not to be too intense from what I’ve heard (I’m non law so have never been challenged on anything remotely legal in nature, just commercial stuff).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

it isn’t that it is completely different, you just have different expectations/standards.

You can take a punt on someone for a vacation scheme, with the knowledge that any concerns can be tested out during their internship. You are less likely to do this for a TC, because the investment is too high (time and money).

So it isn’t a specific thing that firms looks for more or less, it is just that they can be a little more open minded/willing to take a chance on vac schemers

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and WannabeSolicitor24

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.