Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
What is the likelihood of firms holding virtual AC's throughout May for their upcoming summer virtual schemes or TC interviews? @Jessica Booker
I think this is relatively difficult to comment upon because there isn't really a one size fits all and every firm is responding differently. It sounds as though some firms are still recruiting for summer schemes through leveraging virtual platforms to assess candidates whilst there has been more of a quiet front for others who may be taking a temporary pause to assess the situation.

Reactions: J32

Ar2016

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 2, 2019
I think this is relatively difficult to comment upon because there isn't really a one size fits all and every firm is responding differently. It sounds as though some firms are still recruiting for summer schemes through leveraging virtual platforms to assess candidates whilst there has been more of a quiet front for others who may be taking a temporary pause to assess the situation.
Thanks Alice for this! I was asking particularly about May given most (if not all) people will have exams then which can be an obstacle for giving a virtual AC

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks Alice for this! I was asking particularly about May given most (if not all) people will have exams then which can be an obstacle for giving a virtual AC
I understand - if this is a concern, and I am sure @Jessica Booker will echo this, then I think communicating your deadlines and things with a firm as soon as you can is the best and most appropriate approach (once you have been invited to assess of course). They understand the importance of university deadlines and these interviews will be happening later in the year than they would have in normal circumstances so I am sure they will try to be accommodating with this. Obviously, they will need time to do checks etc but I am sure there will be wriggle room, especially if a scheme isn't until say July or August.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What is the likelihood of firms holding virtual AC's throughout May for their upcoming summer virtual schemes or TC interviews? @Jessica Booker

Depends on whether it will be exam season. If unis are still asking people to complete exams remotely during May, it’s unlikely many ACs will run, even virtually - May is a fairly quiet time for graduate recruitment teams because of this.

Much more likely to be in June/July

obviously, the shorter the assessment (eg if it is not a full day of assessments) then the more likely it could take place in May.

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Just to keep everyone in the loop, Linklaters just sent an update to say they are still planning for summer schemes to go ahead, but are exploring virtual options and making the scheme shorter. As I was on the spring scheme, no idea if that means people have been moved to one of the summer schemes now as we have not received any communication on that...

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just to keep everyone in the loop, Linklaters just sent an update to say they are still planning for summer schemes to go ahead, but are exploring virtual options and making the scheme shorter. As I was on the spring scheme, no idea if that means people have been moved to one of the summer schemes now as we have not received any communication on that...
Hmm I wonder if sadly this is a bit of an oversight in phrasing, I think you’d be well within your rights to politely email back to clarify if spring schemers can expect to be able to undertake the virtual arrangements too and be assessed in the same way. I’m sure they probably mean this to apply to all Vac Schemers but I don’t see an issue in seeking clarification if it explicitly says summer scheme and nothing about spring :)

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hmm I wonder if sadly this is a bit of an oversight in phrasing, I think you’d be well within your rights to politely email back to clarify if spring schemers can expect to be able to undertake the virtual arrangements too and be assessed in the same way. I’m sure they probably mean this to apply to all Vac Schemers but I don’t see an issue in seeking clarification if it explicitly says summer scheme and nothing about spring :)

Thank you, that’s exactly what I did. Particularly since I’m on the GDL (part time) and our exam dates are different. They overlap with both of the summer schemes. So in any case I wouldn’t be able to attend, which they know. I’m sure I’m not the only one that won’t be able to attend the regular summer scheme. Anyway, hopefully they’ll be able to provide a bit of clarity on that

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thank you, that’s exactly what I did. Particularly since I’m on the GDL (part time) and our exam dates are different. They overlap with both of the summer schemes. So in any case I wouldn’t be able to attend, which they know. I’m sure I’m not the only one that won’t be able to attend the regular summer scheme. Anyway, hopefully they’ll be able to provide a bit of clarity on that

I can imagine this (students not being able to commit to alternative dates) would be a problem for a lot of firms hence why thy are really taking their time to make a decision. Virtual schemes do offer flexibility here though, as they tend to be shorter and relocation isn't required.

Reactions: Alice G

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
I wonder how a virtual scheme would work. Would we still be assigned seats and "real work" or would it just be workshops and assignments? I also wonder if they'll cater for different timezones.

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
I wonder how a virtual scheme would work. Would we still be assigned seats and "real work" or would it just be workshops and assignments? I also wonder if they'll cater for different timezones.

i asked all those questions and how we’d be assessed for a TC, so will update everyone in case they respond

• 🏆
Reactions: NourJ

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
How do people think firms which recruit heavily from vacation schemes are going to make their offers when the schemes are virtual?
It sounds so far like they will be assessing people based on virtual schemes. I know Clifford Chance is looking to then invite candidates to a work shadowing placement later in the year where people will be interviewed for TCs so I do not know if this is something other firms will look to do too in conjunction with the virtual scheme. I am not sure how assessing people on the virtual schemes will work but I assume it might revolve around the quality of the work you produce and how you essentially come across in any video interviews/points of communication you have during the scheme period.

• ℹ️
Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just had a nice catch-up call with the GradRec team at Gibson Dunn. The firm continues to really impress me in the way they approach their graduate recruitment. Anyway, long story short is that they aren't making any decisions yet but are going to do everything they can to ensure an 'in-person' scheme happens at some point and wanted to get candidates' view on various things. At the moment it looks like the scheme will be pushed to August but we shall see what happens...

amb98

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    Just had a nice catch-up call with the GradRec team at Gibson Dunn. The firm continues to really impress me in the way they approach their graduate recruitment. Anyway, long story short is that they aren't making any decisions yet but are going to do everything they can to ensure an 'in-person' scheme happens at some point and wanted to get candidates' view on various things. At the moment it looks like the scheme will be pushed to August but we shall see what happens...

Did they say what would happen in the event that they could not hold an in person scheme for August, could they go virtual?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.