Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
Just got this email also and I am not sure how I feel. The process for the TC interview seems very similar to what we were already assessed on for the vac scheme assessment centre.

Seems really odd to be offering a scheme to those once they have secured a TC offer. Surely it makes sense to allow everyone to take part in the 4 day virtual scheme before making the massive commitment/decision of offering someone a training contract.

My first official experience with the firm was at the AC and I don't feel like I got the most out of the day as it was a bit disorganised. I personally would of liked to take part in the virtual scheme to interact with a wider range of people from the firm, other candidates and to perhaps attempt some trainee tasks before I commit to accepting a TC. I feel this way in particular as I am currently a non-law student that has had very limited experience with commercial law firms.

I know some people will disagree and be happy enough to accept a TC anywhere given how competitive they are to obtain. However, I want to make sure I am making the right decision as 2 years is a long time to be somewhere you are not entirely happy with.

Would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts. I feel Hogan Lovells dealt with the situation in an exemplary manner and wish other firms followed suit.

I guess the logic behind offering a virtual scheme to those who receive a TC offer is that they can get an insight into the firm and its culture (albeit a limited one), to help them decide whether to accept the TC or not.

Reactions: Alice G

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
I guess the logic behind offering a virtual scheme to those who receive a TC offer is that they can get an insight into the firm and its culture (albeit a limited one), to help them decide whether to accept the TC or not.

Yeah I know what you mean but it would of been nice to have that opportunity before being assessed for a TC as you can use the information you have learned to come across better and more informed in the TC assessment/interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just got this email also and I am not sure how I feel. The process for the TC interview seems very similar to what we were already assessed on for the vac scheme assessment centre.

Seems really odd to be offering a scheme to those once they have secured a TC offer. Surely it makes sense to allow everyone to take part in the 4 day virtual scheme before making the massive commitment/decision of offering someone a training contract.

My first official experience with the firm was at the AC and I don't feel like I got the most out of the day as it was a bit disorganised. I personally would of liked to take part in the virtual scheme to interact with a wider range of people from the firm, other candidates and to perhaps attempt some trainee tasks before I commit to accepting a TC. I feel this way in particular as I am currently a non-law student that has had very limited experience with commercial law firms.

I know some people will disagree and be happy enough to accept a TC anywhere given how competitive they are to obtain. However, I want to make sure I am making the right decision as 2 years is a long time to be somewhere you are not entirely happy with.

Would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts. I feel Hogan Lovells dealt with the situation in an exemplary manner and wish other firms followed suit.

maybe that is exactly why the firm is offering the virtual scheme after the TC offer - to help you work out if you want to accept.

Reactions: amb98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I know what you mean but it would of been nice to have that opportunity before being assessed for a TC as you can use the information you have learned to come across better and more informed in the TC assessment/interview.

it’s probably going to take them some time to get this virtual scheme set up. They aren’t things that are easy to deliver in a short space of time.

So they are offering now as there is a risk that they lose candidates who will receive offers from their competitors in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Alice G

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
it’s probably going to take them some time to get this virtual scheme set up. They aren’t things that are easy to deliver in a short space of time.

So they are offering now as there is a risk that they lose candidates who will receive offers from their competitors in the coming weeks.

Thank you for clarifying this, I can now see things from the perspective of the firm/grad rec more clearly.

I would feel pretty terrible if I was not offered a TC without having had the chance to prove myself on a vacation scheme, I guess that is my main point and it's something I think I should have made clearer above. Which is why I think Hogan Lovells approach has been exemplary and I am surprised other firms have not followed suit as I think it was the fairest way to deal with things given the circumstances.

I don't know, I just feel a certain way. I do not mean to sound ungrateful for the fantastic opportunity, I just wish it was dealt with in a more satisfactory way.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Zoo, AY and NourJ

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019

I am feeling a little confused about it all. HSF has been my top firm for years, I met them a number of times, and it seems like so much pressure is put on 1 hour interview that is to take place on-line. I feel it may be difficult to connect with interviewers online during such a short period of time, but guess we ll see especially as we receive more information about it.

Reactions: Shahil

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Sadly, one exemplary approach to one person might be the worst case scenario for another. We are all very different with different strengths and weaknesses. Firms will be doing what they believe is the best option and choice for them at this time and it’s just another instance of luck dictating so much of this process. It might be the firm you have a Vac with takes an approach you think might be beneficial and best for you but it can just as easily go the other way.

I totally appreciate all the worries and disappointments, I truly do. But please nobody lose heart and remember, all you can do is your best regardless of what happens. Take it from me as someone who felt so crushed by two unconverted schemes, I’m much better for those experiences and setbacks and everything turned out for the best in the end :)

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Sadly, one exemplary approach to one person might be the worst case scenario for another. We are all very different with different strengths and weaknesses. Firms will be doing what they believe is the best option and choice for them at this time and it’s just another instance of luck dictating so much of this process. It might be the firm you have a Vac with takes an approach you think might be beneficial and best for you but it can just as easily go the other way.

I totally appreciate all the worries and disappointments, I truly do. But please nobody lose heart and remember, all you can do is your best regardless of what happens. Take it from me as someone who felt so crushed by two unconverted schemes, I’m much better for those experiences and setbacks and everything turned out for the best in the end :)

Thank you so much Alice, we appreciate your support :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am feeling a little confused about it all. HSF has been my top firm for years, I met them a number of times, and it seems like so much pressure is put on 1 hour interview that is to take place on-line. I feel it may be difficult to connect with interviewers online during such a short period of time, but guess we ll see especially as we receive more information about it.

to the firm this will feel like a comfortable decision. They have already assessed you on some level, so they could see as putting you through multiple assessments as unnecessary. However, you were only assessed for a vacation scheme before, and so they have to assess you again (as you would have been assessed on the vacation scheme).

This is unsettling for firms too. They have worked on pretty structured and consistent processes that have worked for many years - this is throwing a lot of that out of the window, so they are having to make decisions based on what they think might be best rather than what may work best.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019

Yes I agree it would be nice for anyone to be rejected post the TC interview to be offered a place on a future scheme. Not sure if that would work well for them though.

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Yes I agree it would be nice for anyone to be rejected post the TC interview to be offered a place on a future scheme. Not sure if that would work well for them though.

I just think that we should all have the option to choose to defer to another vacation scheme in the winter or next easter. Especially since HSF only recruit from their vacation schemes, that must mean that they see some use/benefit in running them.

I understand they need trainees for their 2022/2023 intakes which is why they have offered the options they have but I much prefer undertaking a vacation scheme and so hopefully they may offer this option when they next get back in touch with further information.

Someone on the student room said they have been offered a winter vacation scheme place but not heard from anyone else being offered the same.

It's all very confusing, I am hearing various accounts from different people. I think I am just going to stick to what the firm has told us and go from there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just think that we should all have the option to choose to defer to another vacation scheme in the winter or next easter. Especially since HSF only recruit from their vacation schemes, that must mean that they see some use/benefit in running them.

I understand they need trainees for their 2022/2023 intakes which is why they have offered the options they have but I much prefer undertaking a vacation scheme and so hopefully they may offer this option when they next get back in touch with further information.

Someone on the student room said they have been offered a winter vacation scheme place but not heard from anyone else being offered the same.

It's all very confusing, I am hearing various accounts from different people. I think I am just going to stick to what the firm has told us and go from there.

By the time they do this, they will be recruiting for the next year’s intakes.

Most candidates are not willing to defer their intake to 12 months later (especially at the moment due to the move to the SQE), so they know it will probably result in an exceptionally low conversion rate.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Karin and gg999

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    By the time they do this, they will be recruiting for the next year’s intakes.

Most candidates are not willing to defer their intake to 12 months later (especially at the moment due to the move to the SQE), so they know it will probably result in an exceptionally low conversion rate.
    I could not agree more. While postponing the vac scheme could work for second year students, it certainly would not for graduate/people in employment who are looking to secure their TCs asap.

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    to the firm this will feel like a comfortable decision. They have already assessed you on some level, so they could see as putting you through multiple assessments as unnecessary. However, you were only assessed for a vacation scheme before, and so they have to assess you again (as you would have been assessed on the vacation scheme).

This is unsettling for firms too. They have worked on pretty structured and consistent processes that have worked for many years - this is throwing a lot of that out of the window, so they are having to make decisions based on what they think might be best rather than what may work best.

Thank you Jessica - you are right. I hope they will consider our performance at ACs when looking at the overall performance so it won't be just one hour interview that decides everything. I just need to figure out internet speed in time, as it has been pretty rubbish around here since lockdown began (but then I am sure many people are faced with the same issue)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica - you are right. I hope they will consider our performance at ACs when looking at the overall performance so it won't be just one hour interview that decides everything. I just need to figure out internet speed in time, as it has been pretty rubbish around here since lockdown began (but then I am sure many people are faced with the same issue)

I am sure your interviewer will have similar issues/concerns. I wouldn’t lose sleep about Wi-fi - everyone is experiencing issues with that (myself included). If it drops or slows, you just have to take a pause - it’s no different to someone having a coughing fit in an interview really!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Karin

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    It's reassuring to see other people have the same concerns, after receiving the email from HSF today. I am worried that they may place a lot of weighting on the interview and since I also have my final year exams going on, I don't want this to mean I am unable to revise thoroughly enough for it! It's also the one firm that I really want to work for and am heading into the GDL next year, so gaining funding for that would be the biggest relief!

Reactions: NourJ and Shahil

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    One thing I will say for all of you with HSF is they do have a fair number of spaces available I believe in terms of conversion rates from the Vac to the TC. I don’t know how much this helps as I appreciate how worrying this time is but just thought I’d try to add some reassurances :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Just to add onto this - we've had a few people in our virtual sessions with a noticeably weaker internet connection. If this is something that doesn't resolve in time, no doubt they'll understand, but consider flagging it up at the beginning just so everyone's on the same page. As Jess said, it can help to just pause for a second (sometimes we find the audio works okay but the video will freeze). Always free to also ask someone to repeat something if you didn't hear it correctly because of the connection!

Shahil

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2018
    One thing I will say for all of you with HSF is they do have a fair number of spaces available I believe in terms of conversion rates from the Vac to the TC. I don’t know how much this helps as I appreciate how worrying this time is but just thought I’d try to add some reassurances :)

I was wondering about this myself - do you know the figures for their conversion rates / anywhere you can find that sort of info?

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.