Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

This post was recently circulated via our newsletter. I thought I'd share it here and add share some more information about what it involves.

Our biggest announcement yet

Since we launched TCLA, I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I could add a lot of value to aspiring lawyers. I wanted it to be something more than just advice on the application process. I wanted some way of truly helping students to secure a training contract.

After a lot of brainstorming, gathering feedback and fine-tuning, I think I have the answer. Well, answers. It comes in the form of two initiatives: TCLA Premium and a Commercial Awareness Discussion Group.

TCLA Premium gives you access to high-level resources, support and advice. It's a service for me to share everything I've learned from my own applications, working at a law firm, and from personally training hundreds of students over the last four years.

Expect:

• Access to our private TCLA Premium forum
    • Access to our weekly business & legal news summary
    • Access to our weekly "commercial awareness" analysis
    • Access to our weekly application guidance
    • Access to our exclusive AMA thread
    • Access to new law firm insights
    • Access to two new case studies based on real written exercises
    • A premium member badge in the TCLA forum
    • One application review available every month (rolling)
    • Access to our private vacation scheme forum
    And more
    The Commercial Awareness Discussion Group is a weekly interactive class. Each session will run for 1 hour and take place on Skype with a group of three other students.

The aim of these sessions is to develop your understanding of key "commercial awareness" topics. I have identified topics that I expect will come up during assessment centres and interviews over the upcoming 2018-19 academic year.

These sessions won't be easy. They will require active participation and a lot of preparation. But they will, in my opinion, help you to ace commercial-awareness-focused interviews.

Each week will focus on a different topic. Here are the topics for the next six weeks:

w/c 17 September 2018 - Private Equity
    w/c 24 September 2018 - Tariffs and the trade war
    w/c 1 October 2018 - GDPR and data regulation
    w/c 8 October 2018 - The financial crisis
    w/c 15 October 2018 - Mergers and Acquisitions
    w/c 22 October 2018 - Brexit

For the time being, please note there are only 12 slots available each week.

I will consider opening more in the future if I can manage the time, but for now, I encourage you to book quickly if you are interested. I anticipate they will be over-subscribed.

Finally, a quick note from me about subscriptions. For the last eight or so months, I have been against charging students for a service at TCLA. I have, however, had a change of mind. I wanted to explain the thinking behind TCLA Premium.

A subscription service will give me the means to continue working on TCLA full time, doing something that I love, while allowing me to help as many students as I can. I am confident that these initiatives are of a very high value and a subscription will allow me to continue adding more.

I have deliberately kept the price low so as to not disadvantage any students, however, if you are of a low income means, please drop me an email at [email protected] and we can work something out.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

After a couple of requests, we have just introduced a new plan. You can purchase four commercial awareness classes and pay in four monthly installments of £34 (which comes with a 15% discount).

If you have already purchased a class and want to take advantage of this offer, please drop me a PM.

TCLA Premium members -- I'll be publishing the weekly business news summary later today.

Thanks,

Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

There are three spaces left for TCLA's private equity class, which will be held on Sunday 23 September 2018. We will be covering everything you need to know about private equity for interview. This will be helpful for students thinking of applying to Weil Gotshal & Manges or Kirkland & Ellis, as you will need to have an understanding of private equity for your interview.

Book a place here

Thanks,

Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A few of you have asked for previews of the preparatory materials for our private equity classes next weekend.

upload_2018-9-19_10-33-50.png

upload_2018-9-19_10-33-55.png

We will also be circulating an outline after the class and feedback on performance during the class.

Reactions: Soliha

J Malone

Valued Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Hi all,

After a couple of requests, we have just introduced a new plan. You can purchase four commercial awareness classes and pay in four monthly installments of £34 (which comes with a 15% discount).

If you have already purchased a class and want to take advantage of this offer, please drop me a PM.

TCLA Premium members -- I'll be publishing the weekly business news summary later today.

Thanks,

Jaysen
    I would like to get the advantage! I registered almost on the first day

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    We have just released a 2,500-word strong outline of private equity, covering our classes last weekend. This is available for TCLA Premium members and students who have booked a commercial awareness class. Sample below.

Enjoy!

upload_2018-9-26_14-13-57.png

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

You may have seen our recent newsletter but in case you haven't:

Tomorrow is the 1st October 2018, which means the 2018-19 vacation scheme cycle officially starts!

It also means that today is the last day you can purchase an Early Bird Membership, which gives you access to TCLA Premium for three months for £60. After today, the price will revert to £30 a month.

Since we started TCLA Premium, we've added:
    • Insights for Herbert Smith Freehills and Latham & Watkins (White & Case to be posted tomorrow)
    • Our commercial awareness analysis (including our 2,500-word breakdown of private equity)
    • Our weekly business and legal news summary (this is now daily, posted Monday to Friday)
    • Comparisons of weak v strong applications (sample below)
    This is in addition to all of the other benefits for subscribing to TCLA Premium, including application reviews, access to our private vacation scheme forum, and more.

upload_2018-9-30_13-46-38.png

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

Premium members: we have just released our 3,000 word+ analysis of the Trump trade war.

Enjoy!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    TCLA Premium members now have access to:
    • Law firm insights on Simmons & Simmons, Jones Day and White & Case
    • Detailed notes on the GDPR and the financial crisis
    • Regular analysis of legal and buiness news topics
    • 8+ past successful applications and cover letters (thanks to premium members for their contributions!)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.