Introduction

Jacky_a

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2023
Hi everyone. My name is Jacky. I’m a second year law student at the University of Birmingham. I am hoping to secure a training contract before I leave university.

What are some tips to ace interviews?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi everyone. My name is Jacky. I’m a second year law student at the University of Birmingham. I am hoping to secure a training contract before I leave university.

Hi Jacky, bit late to this, but I'd thought I could chime in here with a couple of my tips:
    1. Know your application inside and out – they will definitely ask you something about it.
    2. Research your interviewer (if you know who they are) – it helps you make questions which you can ask them at the end of the interview.
    3. Practice answering common interview questions – @Jaysen kindly listed out 260+ interview questions which you can see here.
      1. STAR method is key for competency questions like "tell me about a time you have demonstrated teamwork".
      2. If you have a specific firm you're interviewing for, have a look at the Interview Experiences to see if you can find any interview questions from that firm – try and identify which ones were asked every year.
        1. Separately, you can search for that firm's interview questions across the forums using the search bar in the top right of every page (right below your profile).
    4. Have friends and family (or even people on this forum, if you want) evaluate your answers – evaluation will only make your answer more complete.
    5. If you're doing a virtual interview, have sticky notes with bullet-points of your answers – this is so you have a quick reference point to your answers when you get asked questions.
      1. Side tip: Stick google eyes around your computer camera – this helped me keep my eyes on the camera rather than at the screen during interviews.
    6. Be yourself, be confident – they invited you for an interview for a reason, and that reason is because they see something in you and want to get to know you more, so show them who you are.
    Hope this helps! 👍

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Welcome to the community Jacky!

Reactions: Jacky_a

Jacky_a

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 4, 2023
    Hi Jacky, bit late to this, but I'd thought I could chime in here with a couple of my tips:
    1. Know your application inside and out – they will definitely ask you something about it.
    2. Research your interviewer (if you know who they are) – it helps you make questions which you can ask them at the end of the interview.
    3. Practice answering common interview questions – @Jaysen kindly listed out 260+ interview questions which you can see here.
      1. STAR method is key for competency questions like "tell me about a time you have demonstrated teamwork".
      2. If you have a specific firm you're interviewing for, have a look at the Interview Experiences to see if you can find any interview questions from that firm – try and identify which ones were asked every year.
        1. Separately, you can search for that firm's interview questions across the forums using the search bar in the top right of every page (right below your profile).
    4. Have friends and family (or even people on this forum, if you want) evaluate your answers – evaluation will only make your answer more complete.
    5. If you're doing a virtual interview, have sticky notes with bullet-points of your answers – this is so you have a quick reference point to your answers when you get asked questions.
      1. Side tip: Stick google eyes around your computer camera – this helped me keep my eyes on the camera rather than at the screen during interviews.
    6. Be yourself, be confident – they invited you for an interview for a reason, and that reason is because they see something in you and want to get to know you more, so show them who you are.
    Hope this helps! 👍
    Thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: RANDOTRON

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.