Jones Day Vac Scheme

JJP

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any insight for the best way to approach the Jones Day vac scheme application.

The only free text section asks you to complete a covering letter with maximum 300 words. Normally, I'd follow a standard formula of:
  • Why law?
  • Why me?
  • Why this firm?
In this case, it is possible to do it justice with just 100 words on each? Is there one that should take more priority over the other?

Thanks for your help!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any insight for the best way to approach the Jones Day vac scheme application.

The only free text section asks you to complete a covering letter with maximum 300 words. Normally, I'd follow a standard formula of:
    • Why law?
    • Why me?
    • Why this firm?
    In this case, it is possible to do it justice with just 100 words on each? Is there one that should take more priority over the other?

Thanks for your help!

There's a fair amount of flexibility here and if you wanted to leave it to 100 words each, I don't see a problem with that.

If it was me, I'd lean towards using most of the word count for 'why Jones Day?' and 'why me?'. I think your motivations for 'why commercial law?' can be summarised in fewer words.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JJP

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi all,

• Why law?
    • Why me?
    • Why this firm?

Thanks for your help!
    to echo what Jaysen has said, I would say it is most important to have a 'why Jones Day?' response in there but there is probably flexibility with the rest!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JJP

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.