Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Kirkland & Ellis Vacation Scheme Interview 2021

Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

February 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Spring and Summer Vacation Scheme 2021

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

I attended the virtual assessment day, which ran from 9:30 am to around midday. Upon arrival, there was a brief introduction by the Training Principal. We were then split into groups that had set times to complete each exercise. The day consisted of a 20-30 minute group exercise, a 1 hour and 15 minutes written exercise and a 30-minute break.

I completed a partner interview via Zoom after successfully passing the assessment day. I was given a chance to choose a time based on my availability. The interview was scheduled to be 30 minutes but was closer to 25 minutes long. Two partners interviewed me and I was given their names before the interview.

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Group exercise - this exercise was very time pressured. We had about 10 minutes to prepare a pitch which we then presented to the group. After that, we had 10 minutes to discuss and choose our favourite option.

Written exercise - this was a prioritisation task with ample time to complete it effectively. We had to prepare a plan for our day, taking into consideration all the tasks we were set and explaining why we would prioritise them as we did.

Partner interview - again, this was very time pressured. A very short but to-the-point interview that covered my motivations for applying to K&E, why I thought I'd be a good fit for the firm and my understanding of private equity. Depending on how long your answers are, you may have time to ask the partners questions at the end.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Group exercise - nothing to prepare here. My best advice is to be confident when you're presenting. As the time for discussion is very short, try to make sure that every contribution you make is valuable and helps the team reach a decision—quality over quantity. Of course, general rules of politeness and cooperation apply.

Written exercise - again, nothing to prepare for here. Just ensure that you are incredibly clear about how and why you have prioritised your tasks in the way that you have. If you can find practice exercises online, this might help you feel more comfortable with this kind of task. Be sure to consider what tasks are urgent and who the tasks are for as this will certainly impact your plan.

Partner interview - know enough about private equity that you feel comfortable discussing it. This means the basics such as leverage and the fund life-cycle, but also the general benefits and disadvantages of the industry. Be confident and back yourself. Know where you see your career progressing, then explain why K&E fits this trajectory. Remember, the interview is about seeing if you are a fit for the firm: they are looking (I assume) for potential over perfection, so demonstrate why they should bet on you.

Were you successful?

Yes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.