Latham & Watkins Open Day/Vac Scheme

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi there,

I was just wondering - is it possible to apply for an Open Day at L&W and then submit a separate application for their summer vac scheme once I attend the Open Day? In this way, I will be able to explain better why L&W over other firms.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi there,

I was just wondering - is it possible to apply for an Open Day at L&W and then submit a separate application for their summer vac scheme once I attend the Open Day? In this way, I will be able to explain better why L&W over other firms.

Yes, I believe you can do the above but it is always best to email GR to confirm.

WHT_TC

Nov 5, 2018
    Hi there,

Hi, I think you should only submit the summer VS application after attending the Open Day since they do not review applications on a rolling basis :)

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Does anyone know what the Latham AC is like? Thanks!

Hey, I reached the AC last year. I do not know if they have changed the format but last year it consisted of a written exercise, presentation and face to face interview:

1. Written exercise
    Typical M&A case study, be concise, to the point and watch the time. I would also brush up on aspects of a successful/unsuccessful M&A - financial considerations (e.g. balance sheets, currency changes etc) or international elements of a merger for example the ability to diversify products in different markets. Always leave 5 mins to read through your work as attention to deal is highly valued, especially grammar and spelling. Practical point - bring a highlighter and sticky notes so once you have skimmed all the documents, you can easily find certain documents within the case study to back up/disprove your point.

2. Presentation

Last year, GR emailed us the presentation question in advance.. whatever the chosen question is this year.. I would research the topic properly inside and out and try and link every point to Lathams. Also prepare to be asked alot of questions from your application form whether that would be why you have chosen x subject for A-Levels.

3. Face to face

Typical questions such as why law, why lathams and how they differentiate themselves from their competitors. It is also a very personal interview in that the interviewers will ask you questions that stand out from your app such as your linguistic abilities or your extra curriculars. Also, do not be alarmed with random questions such as how many dentists are there in the UK? questions like this are really designed to test your ability to come to a logical conclusion (think of it like maths, you always show your working out before you conclude with your answer).

I hope the above helps, good luck with it all.

• 🏆
    Reactions: ivannai, CF and Jaysen

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Hey, I reached the AC last year. I do not know if they have changed the format but last year it consisted of a written exercise, presentation and face to face interview:

1. Written exercise
    Typical M&A case study, be concise, to the point and watch the time. I would also brush up on aspects of a successful/unsuccessful M&A - financial considerations (e.g. balance sheets, currency changes etc) or international elements of a merger for example the ability to diversify products in different markets. Always leave 5 mins to read through your work as attention to deal is highly valued, especially grammar and spelling. Practical point - bring a highlighter and sticky notes so once you have skimmed all the documents, you can easily find certain documents within the case study to back up/disprove your point.

2. Presentation

Last year, GR emailed us the presentation question in advance.. whatever the chosen question is this year.. I would research the topic properly inside and out and try and link every point to Lathams. Also prepare to be asked alot of questions from your application form whether that would be why you have chosen x subject for A-Levels.

3. Face to face

Typical questions such as why law, why lathams and how they differentiate themselves from their competitors. It is also a very personal interview in that the interviewers will ask you questions that stand out from your app such as your linguistic abilities or your extra curriculars. Also, do not be alarmed with random questions such as how many dentists are there in the UK? questions like this are really designed to test your ability to come to a logical conclusion (think of it like maths, you always show your working out before you conclude with your answer).

I hope the above helps, good luck with it all.

Hi selma,

Thanks for this! What do you mean by successful/unsuccessful aspects of an M&A

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.