LCC (Diploma) vs LCC (Masters) vs LCC (SQE Masters)??

JoshP5555

Junior Lawyer
Feb 13, 2020
Hi,

So I have a TC with a consortium firm and therefore I will be doing the CCP at BPP.
I'm about to start the law conversion course at BPP in September, but I don't understand the difference between LCC (Diploma), LCC (Masters) and LCC (SQE Masters). In fact, I don't even understand which one I'm enrolled in as a Consortium student. Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone know if one gets a Masters for doing the CCP?

Thank in advance!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would contact your sponsoring firm to get clarity on this. As they are paying for the course, they may only cover a certain level of the course, and also have plans for which course (if any) comes after this one.

Reactions: JoshP5555

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi,

So I have a TC with a consortium firm and therefore I will be doing the CCP at BPP.
I'm about to start the law conversion course at BPP in September, but I don't understand the difference between LCC (Diploma), LCC (Masters) and LCC (SQE Masters). In fact, I don't even understand which one I'm enrolled in as a Consortium student. Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone know if one gets a Masters for doing the CCP?

Thank in advance!!
As said, best to ask the firm. The LCC on its own without masters is the PGDL my sons did a couple of years ago with BPP. It is the traditional law conversion course and with no masters. It ends in about Apriland in their case they started the then LPC that year in Spetember. If you are doing the masters with it then with BPP that carries on into the summer term and with some work over the summer holidays and most people only add the masters part because they need a post grad masters loan to fund the course.
If you are signed up to the LCC masters with SQE at BPP - s course that might start Sept 2023 with the LCC to April, then masters in summer term, then Autumn term of year 2 you start the SQE1 course. For those self funding with a student loan the "LCC SQE Masters" is probably the one to choose as you only get one chance of a post grad student loan (not relevant to you as you are self funded). The masters loan is only about £12k so does not cover all the fees and there is SQE2 to do after SQE1 too.

People on the first year LCC/PDGL will also be potential barristers too as it is the law conversion course.

I don't think you do the masters part if sponsored, but firms might vary and they certainly varied on this during the LPC years. A good while back my daughter was sponsored on the earlier courses GDL/LPC and her firm didn't do the masters whereas some did. Her advice was the masters was a bit of extra work you don't need (unless you have to get the masters student loan). It is not really like a traditional masters you might do over a whole year after graduating in other subjects. This summary of City Consortium does not mention masters https://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/rs2jvepv/the-city-consortium-solicitor-training-programme.pdf but I am just guessing you won't be doing it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.