Leaving a legal role to get a non legal one?

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
Dec 30, 2018
Hello all,

(This is my first post so not sure how these things work haha)

I have been working as a paralegal for few months and I absolutely hate it (due to the area of law I think).

I have been applying for jobs (including paralegal ones in other areas of law) and recently got an offer for a non- legal role that I am sure I would enjoy . However, this role has no corporate or commercial elements. My question is would this job reduce the quality of my training contract applications, as recruiters may wonder why I have left the corporate world to do something 'not corporate'?

Last edited:

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hiya!

I'm not the most experienced on this topic but I definitely do not think this would be a disadvantage nor would it reduce the quality of your training contract applications. Transferable skills are such that can be gained from any experience and can help bring something unique to your applications.

As long as you can demonstrate your motivations for a career in commercial law and are able to articulate and relate back the skills and experiences gained in your non-corporate role back to commercial law I think you'll be absolutely fine.

Best of luck ☺️

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
Dec 30, 2018
Hiya!

I'm not the most experienced on this topic but I definitely do not think this would be a disadvantage nor would it reduce the quality of your training contract applications. Transferable skills are such that can be gained from any experience and can help bring something unique to your applications.

As long as you can demonstrate your motivations for a career in commercial law and are able to articulate and relate back the skills and experiences gained in your non-corporate role back to commercial law I think you'll be absolutely fine.

Best of luck ☺️
Thanks a lot for the insights!

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Thanks a lot for the insights!
    It also sounds as if you will benefit from a bit of distance. You might find, during this role, that actually you’d far rather do something a bit less directly on the standard career path. There is no obligation to be a solicitor if it’s not for you. This role could lead you further along that route or further away but if it’s a good job in an interesting environment, what’s not to like? You might even decide to join the GLP. It’s got some great employees and a very healthy work-life balance.
    Enjoy the freedom you have to choose! 👍

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
    Dec 30, 2018
    It also sounds as if you will benefit from a bit of distance. You might find, during this role, that actually you’d far rather do something a bit less directly on the standard career path. There is no obligation to be a solicitor if it’s not for you. This role could lead you further along that route or further away but if it’s a good job at a good firm, what’s not to like?
    Enjoy the freedom you have to choose!
    Thanks a lot for taking the time out to give me advice. Much appreciated :)

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think it is risky but not something that couldn't be overcome. You'll need to think about how you explain this change in direction both in applications and in interviews.

Personally, I'd suggest waiting to see if you can secure another paralegal type role. My instant reaction is that its more likely to impact your ability to secure future paralegal work than it would a training contract.

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
    Dec 30, 2018
    I think it is risky but not something that couldn't be overcome. You'll need to think about how you explain this change in direction both in applications and in interviews.

Personally, I'd suggest waiting to see if you can secure another paralegal type role. My instant reaction is that its more likely to impact your ability to secure future paralegal work than it would a training contract.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your insights. I have a fair bit of legal experienced as I've been in this paralegal job for just under 8 months and I did a few work experience placements during the holidays whilst at University. My genuine explanation for this is because the current area of law that I am in does not allow me to utilise and improve certain attributes that are important for an aspiring solicitor, for example client facing, communication and critical thinking. I'd like to do something a bit more dynamic to get me ready for a training contract. Do you think there would be a problem with this explanation?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your insights. I have a fair bit of legal experienced as I've been in this paralegal job for just under 8 months and I did a few work experience placements during the holidays whilst at University. My genuine explanation for this is because the current area of law that I am in does not allow me to utilise and improve certain attributes that are important for an aspiring solicitor, for example client facing, communication and critical thinking. I'd like to do something a bit more dynamic to get me ready for a training contract. Do you think there would be a problem with this explanation?

8 months isn’t really a long time

I am slightly concerned that the DWP work isn’t going to give you any more client facing and critical thinking work than a paralegal role would.

You need to do what you want to do, but it is risky in my opinion.

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
    Dec 30, 2018
    8 months isn’t really a long time

I am slightly concerned that the DWP work isn’t going to give you any more client facing and critical thinking work than a paralegal role would.

You need to do what you want to do, but it is risky in my opinion.
    Thanks once again for the reply, really appreciate the advice! I am currently applying for other paralegal roles too so hopefully something comes through soon!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.