Leveraging Another Law Firm

Jackson

Jun 6, 2019
Hi guys,

I recently received an offer to be a Brand Ambassador for my university at a law firm. I had also applied for brand ambassador roles for other law firms, including a magic circle one. Do you think it is possible to use my current job offer to leverage the other firm to give me an interview? (I haven't heard back from the other firm yet.)

Thank you for your help!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys,

I recently received an offer to be a Brand Ambassador for my university at a law firm. I had also applied for brand ambassador roles for other law firms, including a magic circle one. Do you think it is possible to use my current job offer to leverage the other firm to give me an interview? (I haven't heard back from the other firm yet.)

Thank you for your help!

Hi there,

Congratulations on gaining the role! Personally, I wouldn't attempt to leverage your position with the other law firm. I think that it can be a tricky thing to negotiate and you don't want to come across as sounding entitled to being their brand ambassador by mistake. I think you might be best to wait it out and see if you get to an interview with them and take it from there. You will also have the position on your CV and apps going forwards which will serve you well too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Agreed with @Alice G. I can’t say I know much about the brand ambassador process, but it would be hard to leverage another offer at the application stage without giving off the wrong impression — that you lack commitment to the firms you’ve applied to.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    It's possible. It all comes down to whether you're able to come across (ideally over the phone) as genuine, and not heavy handed or calculated. The best thing you could do is to communicate that your current Brand Ambassador offer has a time frame in which you must accept, and therefore you would like to see if a decision could be made earlier, if possible. The 'risk' is what has been discussed by others, if you come across as calculating, etc.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.