Linklaters 2019/20 Application

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
The last VS at Links ends on the 21st August. The next week they interview the VSers over and make their decisions, so I would assume that is when things may really kick up a notch in terms of interview invites for direct TCs.

Reactions: AverageHotSauce

JKs

Feb 24, 2019
Without having knowledge of the process, I can only assume they’re working their way through the apps gradually and shortlisting those for the next stage as they go in case they have spaces post vac scheme. This is based on the fact there seem to have been a couple of batches of rejections so far.

As usual, no news is good news for now...
They use an algorithm to rank everyone based on your WG results and your CAPP results and then they only invite those that are say ranked 1st-200th to the AC. This is what my friend told me as he used to work at Links and he applied for the direct TC but was unsuccessful. He managed to probe Grad Rec about how the system works. Apparently for the CAPP test, they can be looking for people with a specific attribute one year and then next year, they will focus on another attribute. Can’t really see the logic behind this as each year they’re trying to recruit the same “type” of person but then the next year that “type” won’t be what they’re looking for.....also where is the diversity and appreciation of people having different strengths and weaknesses.

• ℹ️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They use an algorithm to rank everyone based on your WG results and your CAPP results and then they only invite those that are say ranked 1st-200th to the AC. This is what my friend told me as he used to work at Links and he applied for the direct TC but was unsuccessful. He managed to probe Grad Rec about how the system works. Apparently for the CAPP test, they can be looking for people with a specific attribute one year and then next year, they will focus on another attribute. Can’t really see the logic behind this as each year they’re trying to recruit the same “type” of person but then the next year that “type” won’t be what they’re looking for.....also where is the diversity and appreciation of people having different strengths and weaknesses.

not convinced the last part about different attributes is true.

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019

Not sure the last bit about different attributes is accurate - I got my TC with Links in the last application round and a lot of us on the AC/VS discussed our CAPP results. There was a broad range of strengths and weaknesses between us. I think it’s more to do with how highly you score for each attribute, i.e. the score you got for your weakness could be higher than the score someone else got for their strength.

As an update, I believe there will be some sort of commercial written element being added to Linklaters’ application in the next cycle too.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Not sure the last bit about different attributes is accurate - I got my TC with Links in the last application round and a lot of us on the AC/VS discussed our CAPP results. There was a broad range of strengths and weaknesses between us. I think it’s more to do with how highly you score for each attribute, i.e. the score you got for your weakness could be higher than the score someone else got for their strength.

As an update, I believe there will be some sort of commercial written element being added to Linklaters’ application in the next cycle too.
I can echo this as I had the same experience at my AC too. We all had a real range of attributes and do not recall us having one in common as a group.

Reactions: Paralegal178

Bakers Junior Lawyer

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 5, 2019
Hey guys,

A quick question on the Links VS application. Is it normal for the VS application not to have a work section or even application questions?

I have seen both these mentioned above for the TC.

Wishing everyone the best of luck.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.