Linklaters

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
hi all so this is the question- I've been struggling for a little while because I think I am overcomplicating it:
One of Linklaters’ core values is that we strive for excellence. Tell us the ways in which you have sought to develop yourself personally and professionally

So this is my draft for mooting and how I have developed myself - it's just a start but would really appreciate a bit of feedback as to whether I am on the right lines or way off:

- I have sought to develop myself professionally by improving my problem-solving skills and analytical ability through mooting.
- Took part in university commercial moot competition- provided challenges because I had not yet studied the relevant modules but was competing against students who had
- This has helped me to work towards attaining excellence by developing my skills in a highly pressurised environment.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I think you're on the right lines and your experience seems like a good choice. My suggestion would be to balance between professional and personal development. You've suggested professional but personal needs to be there too. That would be something like increasing your confidence, which I can see following off of mooting quite easily. It's important to have some personality in this answer, essentially :)

Reactions: Salma

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
I think you're on the right lines and your experience seems like a good choice. My suggestion would be to balance between professional and personal development. You've suggested professional but personal needs to be there too. That would be something like increasing your confidence, which I can see following off of mooting quite easily. It's important to have some personality in this answer, essentially :)

thanks so much for your reply! So I was planning to do 2/3 of these and focus on personal development in another example- would you recommend maybe doing fewer examples and focusing on them in more depth?

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
thanks so much for your reply! So I was planning to do 2/3 of these and focus on personal development in another example- would you recommend maybe doing fewer examples and focusing on them in more depth?
depends how much word count you have. But generally, I'd advocate for fewer examples and more depth. From experience, there's always something that needs further explanation/justifying with the word count and that would be taken up by further examples, thus giving you a pretty basic answer. hope that helps!

Reactions: datguyak

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
depends how much word count you have. But generally, I'd advocate for fewer examples and more depth. From experience, there's always something that needs further explanation/justifying with the word count and that would be taken up by further examples, thus giving you a pretty basic answer. hope that helps!

sorry, one last question, when talking about how I have tried to develop my problem-solving skills - should I be talking about the steps taken within mooting to do so or how mooting develops problem-solving skills or should I be using several examples alongside mooting to demonstrate how I have tried to improve my problem solving skills.

Thanks again, I really do think I am overthinking this question and making it a lot harder than it is

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
sorry, one last question, when talking about how I have tried to develop my problem-solving skills - should I be talking about the steps taken within mooting to do so or how mooting develops problem-solving skills or should I be using several examples alongside mooting to demonstrate how I have tried to improve my problem solving skills.

Thanks again, I really do think I am overthinking this question and making it a lot harder than it is

Maybe mention an example you faced or overcame which required you to use your problem solving skills.

Reactions: datguyak

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Do Linklaters use the WG test as an automatic filter out??
Will applications be read regardless of test score??
Thanks. Considering if it’s worth putting in an application late in the day, given the effort/research the questions are going to take.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.