Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Jaysen,

Out of interest were those successful applications (so you interviewed at those firms) or just practice ones?

Yep, they were both successful applications. Ashurst was for a TC. Jones Day for a vacation scheme.

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hello, I have a question. If I found the name of a graduate recruiter through my own research (the application did not specify who I should address the cover letter to), should I write "Dear X" or "Dear Mr/Miss X"? I don't know if the former is too informal, but I don't want to assume the marital status of the latter. Please help!

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    Hello, I have a question. If I found the name of a graduate recruiter through my own research (the application did not specify who I should address the cover letter to), should I write "Dear X" or "Dear Mr/Miss X"? I don't know if the former is too informal, but I don't want to assume the marital status of the latter. Please help!
    The name should at least tell you their gender. For female contacts, use "Dear Ms X" instead of "Miss/Mrs" if you're unsure about their marital status. :)

Reactions: yanerlim

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    I would be wary about doing this, as some people aren't too keen on 'Ms'. I think 'Dear [Full Name]' will suffice.

Thanks! I wasn't too sure about using Ms either, but won't putting down just the name be informal?

Tbh, I think the content of your cover letter is more important than the greeting line. Don't overthink it. I used "Ms" in past cover letters and got interviews.

Actually, I was told to use "Ms" for female contacts when I started my current job, which involves a lot of communication with teachers and careers advisors. I think people like "Ms" because it's neutral. Whether you choose to use "Ms" or not depends on your writing style, but from my personal experience it is a safe option.

I receive a lot of emails from teachers I don't know and rarely see anyone addressing me "Dear [Full Name]". However, I know within the business world it is a common practice. :)

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Hi Ben

You would normally be correct. The cover letter should be used for information you haven't already provided in your application form. So if the question in the application form was: "Why are you applying to this firm?", you would be justified leaving this out in your cover letter.

However, in your case the application form is different. The question is asking you what makes the firm different to other firms. And, while this has some crossover with: "Why are you applying to this firm", it is not the same. I would therefore suggest you still include this in your application form.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Hello, bit late coming across this one! I am doing an application for Ashurst TC (found your cover letter very helpful thank you). But like the person above I am a bit confused as to how to separate the cover letter and answer to the 'how is Ashurst different to other firms you have applied to'.

For the question about how Ashurst is different, would you suggest giving a more descriptive answer and literally stating how I perceive it to be different, or should I also add to that and include why these differences appeal to me? (Word limit is just 250 words)
    Although it specifically mentions 'other firms you have applied to', is it best not to refer in any specifics to other firms, just perhaps that they are similar scale of size/international work etc.?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello, bit late coming across this one! I am doing an application for Ashurst TC (found your cover letter very helpful thank you). But like the person above I am a bit confused as to how to separate the cover letter and answer to the 'how is Ashurst different to other firms you have applied to'.

For the question about how Ashurst is different, would you suggest giving a more descriptive answer and literally stating how I perceive it to be different, or should I also add to that and include why these differences appeal to me? (Word limit is just 250 words)
    Although it specifically mentions 'other firms you have applied to', is it best not to refer in any specifics to other firms, just perhaps that they are similar scale of size/international work etc.?

Thanks!

Yes, I would go for a descriptive answer. What do you mean by specifics? If you mean by name, then you can but it's not necessary.

Sim96

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jul 11, 2020
    @Jaysen, in a cover letter for a paralegal position (FTC 6-12 months - Disputes & Investigations) with Slaughters would it be okay to say that I want this role to gain a foundation in English litigation and investigations (technical knowledge) to apply be an Associate in the team if there is an opportunity in the future.

[internal note: I am a qualified lawyer but want to do a paralegal role to get English litigation and investigation experience]

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jaysen, in a cover letter for a paralegal position (FTC 6-12 months - Disputes & Investigations) with Slaughters would it be okay to say that I want this role to gain a foundation in English litigation and investigations (technical knowledge) to apply be an Associate in the team if there is an opportunity in the future.

[internal note: I am a qualified lawyer but want to do a paralegal role to get English litigation and investigation experience]
    I’d personally not reference a qualified role in the future as that is a big jump for a law firm like Slaughters and even though you are qualified elsewhere, they will have a more traditional way of qualifying, through a training contract.

I would focus on the experience the paralegal role will give you and your interest in this area rather than the jump to potentially secure a qualified role at a later date.

Sim96

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jul 11, 2020
    I’d personally not reference a qualified role in the future as that is a big jump for a law firm like Slaughters and even though you are qualified elsewhere, they will have a more traditional way of qualifying, through a training contract.

I would focus on the experience the paralegal role will give you and your interest in this area rather than the jump to potentially secure a qualified role at a later date.
    Thank you, @Jessica Booker for picking this up! So kind! does your answer differ if i mentioned that i am english-qualfied? and I can say to be an associate in disputes and investigations (without saying at slaughter and may)?
    Please may I also ask - how should we approach this question - "Please give an example of a situation where on reflection you wish you had acted differently and explain with the benefit of hindsight how you would change your response. Explain how and what you have learned from this."

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.