LPC Application strategy

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2020
Hi,

Just wanted to ask about the LPC application strategy.
I personally want to go for BPP because they have a campus in Cambridge.
But in terms of getting offered a bursary, I have heard it might be wiser to apply to ULaw as well (as BPP will be able to see this).
And then there is the argument of putting your second preference as your first choice, to perhaps try and get a bursary from the other...

shannontongg

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 10
  • Oct 3, 2021
    I've also heard of ULaw offering to match any scholarship offered by BPP or vice versa. They are both for-profit universities, so I highly doubt they are picky over how you've ranked them in your preferences. If you meet their minimum requirements and are willing to pay their course fees, they will probably give you an offer. Trying to get one to match the scholarship offered by the other is probably the only 'strategy' you need to think about in this application process. Good luck with your scholarship applications!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi,

Just wanted to ask about the LPC application strategy.
    I personally want to go for BPP because they have a campus in Cambridge.
    But in terms of getting offered a bursary, I have heard it might be wiser to apply to ULaw as well (as BPP will be able to see this).
    And then there is the argument of putting your second preference as your first choice, to perhaps try and get a bursary from the other...
    Following on from what @shannontongg said yesterday, regarding the GDL, I had a place at both U Law and BPP. BPP rang me to offer a discount (they said this was related to my academic prowess but I didn't quite buy it) and I couldn't take the call (I was working), so they emailed it. A week or so later they offered further discounts over the phone. I preferred U Law so wasn't interested in the lower price offering. I couldn't achieve that lowest price from U Law but they did price match the emailed discount (ie they would match what I had in writing from BPP).

In terms of 'ranking', the two providers are aware that they are essentially in competition. The best strategy may be the most straightforward one - after all, the reality is that you'd have to relocate, probably to London which is more expensive, to take up a place even WITH a scholarship/bursary/discount. So maybe consider putting BPP first, rather than tying yourself in knots trying to second guess what they might and might not charge you.

You could put them both on the basis that you are doubling your chance of accessing scholarships but that will be extra work. You also say you want to stay in Cambridge, but a lot can happen in 6 months (if you are looking at an October start). So applying to both providers would keep your options open until things become clear.

Good luck, in any case!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.