LPC or SQE?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    The Professional Skills Course is not really "more exams". My sons have been doing it very recently. There is one exam only which you do on the afternoon of the third day of the Financial and Business Skills 3 day course (pass mark is 60%). There is no exam in anything else on the PSC - you just have to attend (and you can do that with BPP online if you prefer) so PSC exams is not really something to compare with the SQE regime.
    Just trying to set out clear facts for the SQE to dispel some misinformed rumours here, as many firms are moving to the SQE its good for people to get the true picture of what they will likely be undertaking if they secure a TC in the next few years.

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    Sorry to post again in this old thread, but I have recently been offered a TC with a firm that is generally choosing for candidates to take the SQE route. I have done the GDL so I am eligible to still do the LPC until 2032 and qualify under the old route. The Firm said on the vac scheme they consider on case by case. My reasoning is that I am dyslexic and have ADHD, so sitting an exam of multiple choice for 5 hours (6-7 with adjustments) is not suited to my needs in the same way that the LPC is. I am wondering generally if this is a myth that the SQE is not supportive of adjustments, but with only 80 candidates with disabilities that have done the SQE so far I am not confident in the SQE at all (https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/solicitors-qualifying-examination/first-sqe-assessment-results/). I am keen to present a business case for the LPC but wanted to sense check first.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry to post again in this old thread, but I have recently been offered a TC with a firm that is generally choosing for candidates to take the SQE route. I have done the GDL so I am eligible to still do the LPC until 2032 and qualify under the old route. The Firm said on the vac scheme they consider on case by case. My reasoning is that I am dyslexic and have ADHD, so sitting an exam of multiple choice for 5 hours (6-7 with adjustments) is not suited to my needs in the same way that the LPC is. I am wondering generally if this is a myth that the SQE is not supportive of adjustments, but with only 80 candidates with disabilities that have done the SQE so far I am not confident in the SQE at all (https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/solicitors-qualifying-examination/first-sqe-assessment-results/). I am keen to present a business case for the LPC but wanted to sense check first.
    Did you start the GDL before January 2022? If not, you won’t be eligible to take the LPC route.

I have seen people get adjustments for the SQE assessments. It’s important to flag them early when you register and really push them for the specific adjustments you need. You should get extra time for the dyslexia, and also potentially get a separate assessment room for the ADHD (depending on the requirements you need).

If the firm has some flexibility, then I don’t think there is any harm in presenting your concerns about the SQE and saying you think you will be better suited to the LPC assessments though.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    Did you start the GDL before January 2022? If not, you won’t be eligible to take the LPC route.

I have seen people get adjustments for the SQE assessments. It’s important to flag them early when you register and really push them for the specific adjustments you need. You should get extra time for the dyslexia, and also potentially get a separate assessment room for the ADHD (depending on the requirements you need).

If the firm has some flexibility, then I don’t think there is any harm in presenting your concerns about the SQE and saying you think you will be better suited to the LPC assessments though.
    Yes, I started the GDL in 2021 (accepted before sept 2021) so I still have till 2032. Thank you for the help!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Yes, I started the GDL in 2021 (accepted before sept 2021) so I still have till 2032. Thank you for the help!
    I have just completed the Fast Track LPC and whilst I haven’t myself completed the SQE, I have witnessed friends go through the process. It is objectively a more intensive course even though the content is very similar (except for a few additional courses like Tort and Land law). At BPP, we took exams for maximum of two hours on Inspera and were allowed printed notes for them all. If the LPC course is still available, it may be better suited for you.

Talk to your firm and see what they say! No harm in that :)

Reactions: ScoUting

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I agree. I think some firms will consider requests for LPC instead particularly as it probably costs them about the same and provided the future trainee does the professional skills course in 2 weeks when the TC starts to get it over (as the SQE cohort will not be doing the PSC course).
    On timelines the City Consortium sets out a time line for SQE and the enhanced courses (like the LPC electives) their people will be doing - https://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/rs2jvepv/the-city-consortium-solicitor-training-programme.pdf.
    The BPP PGDL/masters/SQE1 course is apparently 16 months in length if you start in September and is 12 months if you start in January. I presume the difference is simply because of a summer holiday issue or may be it is about timing of SQE1 exams. You can then tack an SQE2 course on to that at the end (SQE2 uses some knowledge from SQE1 so most people do not want too big a gap between the two).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.