Main things to know about a deal

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Hi all,

Assuming you're preparing for the interview question that ask 'tell me about one of our deals you've found interesting'

What are the key components of a transaction to be aware of? I've got the various jurisdictions and practice areas involved in the deal. What else do you recommend I should be aware of?

Many thanks

Reactions: Demna87

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi all,

Assuming you're preparing for the interview question that ask 'tell me about one of our deals you've found interesting'

What are the key components of a transaction to be aware of? I've got the various jurisdictions and practice areas involved in the deal. What else do you recommend I should be aware of?

Many thanks

Hey!

I would recommend looking into what key obstacles (if any) the firm overcame in order for the deal to be executed, also look into whether the deal is line with any new legislation or initiatives the region is promoting (for instance the China belt road initiative or Saudi Arabia vision 2030). That is how I analyse it!

I would look into the clients view of the deal (check their website) but also any other websites which comment on the deal and the implications of it.

I hope this helps.

It would be nice to see how others prepare for ‘tell us a deal you have recently read and what you found interesting’ type of question for interviews.

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Hey!

I would recommend looking into what key obstacles (if any) the firm overcame in order for the deal to be executed, also look into whether the deal is line with any new legislation or initiatives the region is promoting (for instance the China belt road initiative or Saudi Arabia vision 2030). That is how I analyse it!

I would look into the clients view of the deal (check their website) but also any other websites which comment on the deal and the implications of it.

I hope this helps.

It would be nice to see how others prepare for ‘tell us a deal you have recently read and what you found interesting’ type of question for interviews.

Thank you so much Salma! This is very helpful!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I remember being asked this question at Shearman & Sterling.

I'm assuming when you say "key components" you mean "what questions could I be asked about the deal?", in which case it really depends on what deal you're choosing. For example, if it's M&A, you might want to think about the purchase price (how much the buyer paid), how it was paid (e.g. cash and shares), your opinion on the deal (good value? A premium?), how the buyer financed the deal (e.g. did it sell bonds in the market first? Did the same firm help with that?), the significance of the deal (why did you choose this deal over other deals? Are there trends going on in that sector?) etc.

The questions you will be asked are likely to be based on what you say at interview, especially if you've chosen a more obscure deal. That will help you to focus your preparation. It also helps you if you're not too sure about something (e.g. don't bring up the fact that the company raised finance by issuing bonds if you don't know what bonds are).

Reactions: Lawgirlxo

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    I remember being asked this question at Shearman & Sterling.

I'm assuming when you say "key components" you mean "what questions could I be asked about the deal?", in which case it really depends on what deal you're choosing. For example, if it's M&A, you might want to think about the purchase price (how much the buyer paid), how it was paid (e.g. cash and shares), your opinion on the deal (good value? A premium?), how the buyer financed the deal (e.g. did it sell bonds in the market first? Did the same firm help with that?), the significance of the deal (why did you choose this deal over other deals? Are there trends going on in that sector?) etc.

The questions you will be asked are likely to be based on what you say at interview, especially if you've chosen a more obscure deal. That will help you to focus your preparation. It also helps you if you're not too sure about something (e.g. don't bring up the fact that the company raised finance by issuing bonds if you don't know what bonds are).

Yes that’s what I meant! Thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.