Mental Health/Resilience Training For Aspiring Lawyers?

How valuable would a mental health/resilience training course be for you?

• Very valuable

Votes: 65 62.5%
  • Somewhat valuable

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Not very valuable

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Not at all valuable

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

With our premium section, we're looking to go beyond teaching 'technical' skills and provide a range of courses on softer skills (tailored towards working in the highly pressurised corporate environment).

We're currently in discussions with a company to deliver courses on mental health/resilience training for you guys. These will be designed to prepare you for the intensity of the environment within commercial law, teach you methods to manage stress and burnout, teach you about emotional intelligence, and support you if you deal with feelings such as imposter syndrome etc. The company typically provides this training to law firms, but I think we'd benefit from giving you guys these tools earlier in your journey.

Mental health is an area I'm hugely passionate about, but before we go ahead, I wanted to get a sense of what you guys thought. Would this be of value to you to learn about before you secure a training contract? Would you be keen to complete this course?

PS: Your name won't come up when voting, so feel free to be as honest as possible.

Thanks,

Jaysen

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey guys,

With our premium section, we're looking to go beyond teaching 'technical' skills and provide a range of courses on softer skills (tailored towards working in the highly pressurised corporate environment).

We're currently in discussions with a company to deliver courses on mental health/resilience training for you guys. These will be designed to prepare you for the intensity of the environment within commercial law, teach you methods to manage stress and burnout, teach you about emotional intelligence, and support you if you deal with feelings such as imposter syndrome etc. The company typically provides this training to law firms, but I think we'd benefit from giving you guys these tools earlier in your journey.

Mental health is an area I'm hugely passionate about, but before we go ahead, I wanted to get a sense of what you guys thought. Would this be of value to you to learn about before you secure a training contract? Would you be keen to complete this course?

PS: Your name won't come up when voting, so feel free to be as honest as possible.

Thanks,

Jaysen
    Completely agree with @Jessica Booker - I think this would be brilliant!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G and Jaysen

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Great idea Jaysen - not sure how you would go about doing it but I think it's something lots of folks here would want. I'd go on about ali abdaal and wim hof, but personally from my time in the military (and life after!) the following really helps.

1) SEAL Team Visualisation exercises. Emergency Conditioning, also known as “battle proofing” or “battle inoculation,” is a way for soldiers to become mentally ready for combat scenarios by envisioning them beforehand. The more complex and vivid the conditioning is, the better the soldier will perform when that situation occurs in real life. This relates to workplace issues and all etc. When I was huddled in trenches kind of starving, with night missions in store, I always sought to visualise my end goal - accomplishing the mission with no casualties and having McDonalds once I was back on leave. Lol. I've used this to prepare for my ACs as well to pretty good effects!

2) Resilience exercises. Doing things every day that challenge you! For me, it's starting my day with a swim at Hampstead Heath at 7am daily even when I feel like an absolute wreck - cold water immersion does wonders for the body. Also doing something that you never thought you'd be able to do! I did this when I challenged myself to walk from London-Brighton in a day, and I think it's never really left me since.

Gonna stop preaching here, but maybe inward-focusing introspection exercises would work better for most people than the above. But I've REALLY found going out and doing things to BUILD resilience practically the most helpful for my school/working life!

Stay hungry :D

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Great idea Jaysen - not sure how you would go about doing it but I think it's something lots of folks here would want. I'd go on about ali abdaal and wim hof, but personally from my time in the military (and life after!) the following really helps.

1) SEAL Team Visualisation exercises. Emergency Conditioning, also known as “battle proofing” or “battle inoculation,” is a way for soldiers to become mentally ready for combat scenarios by envisioning them beforehand. The more complex and vivid the conditioning is, the better the soldier will perform when that situation occurs in real life. This relates to workplace issues and all etc. When I was huddled in trenches kind of starving, with night missions in store, I always sought to visualise my end goal - accomplishing the mission with no casualties and having McDonalds once I was back on leave. Lol. I've used this to prepare for my ACs as well to pretty good effects!

2) Resilience exercises. Doing things every day that challenge you! For me, it's starting my day with a swim at Hampstead Heath at 7am daily even when I feel like an absolute wreck - cold water immersion does wonders for the body. Also doing something that you never thought you'd be able to do! I did this when I challenged myself to walk from London-Brighton in a day, and I think it's never really left me since.

Gonna stop preaching here, but maybe inward-focusing introspection exercises would work better for most people than the above. But I've REALLY found going out and doing things to BUILD resilience practically the most helpful for my school/working life!

Stay hungry :D

Thank you for sharing. I am actually familiar with Wim Hof, although I've never personally tried his method!

They've actually started working on the course, but this will be mostly a detailed introduction, and we hope to provide more courses on this over time. Your input on this is very useful and clearly you have a lot of life experience.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.