Mentioning investment/portfolio success in cover letters

goonhoon2

Oct 15, 2019
I am currently a 2nd year Law student and I wonder, whether mentioning 'success' (yield percentage or simply the mention of it being successful) of my overall stock portfolio over a long-time period is something that could support my application? I am applying for a lot of financial markets / private equity law firms and mentioning this is most likely the only way to demonstrate both my actual experience within the field and some degree of commercial awareness.

Edit: the reason I am asking is that although I realise that many people invest and that it infact does not relate to law, I believe it is a good way to show that I actually understand (to some degree) how
financial markets behave.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
My only advice here would be to say - remember, you are applying to be a lawyer, not a banker. I think you need to phrase your answer in a way that relates back to the role of a (trainee) lawyer.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am currently a 2nd year Law student and I wonder, whether mentioning 'success' (yield percentage or simply the mention of it being successful) of my overall stock portfolio over a long-time period is something that could support my application? I am applying for a lot of financial markets / private equity law firms and mentioning this is most likely the only way to demonstrate both my actual experience within the field and some degree of commercial awareness.

Edit: the reason I am asking is that although I realise that many people invest and that it infact does not relate to law, I believe it is a good way to show that I actually understand (to some degree) how
    financial markets behave.

Thanks for any help

Not sure if you mean including it in terms of ‘why commercial law?’ or ‘why me?’ but either way it sounds worth mentioning.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Fine to mention it. Just be prepared to answer why not IB if you get to interview, so be mindful to ensure it doesn’t come across as top investment focused.

There can also be a few tricky questions like how you got the money to invest in the first place. But that’s all at interview stage rather than On an application again

goonhoon2

Oct 15, 2019
    Fine to mention it. Just be prepared to answer why not IB if you get to interview, so be mindful to ensure it doesn’t come across as top investment focused.

There can also be a few tricky questions like how you got the money to invest in the first place. But that’s all at interview stage rather than On an application again

Right, I understand that. I am trying to link it to my curiosity about the role of law in the sector (i.e. financial regulation, rights of both shareholders and the managers board etc.).

Thank you!

Reactions: Aminata

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.