Module breakdowns and US firms

sunflower269

Sep 3, 2021
I am really keen on firms like Skadden, Sidley, White & Case, but I'm concerned about my chances at a few of these because I only have a 2:1 at undergraduate level (Oxbridge, if that makes any difference).

I'm also worried that throughout my degree, I got a few 2:2 module marks, though I also got some high first class marks too, and a good 2:1 average in the second and final year, and a first overall in first year, then a Distinction in a Masters (London, not Oxbridge).

I'm just worried I won't be good enough for the paper sift at firms like Skadden, both/either because of the 2:1 or those few 2:2 module marks, and especially given I don't have any very exciting professional experiences either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am really keen on firms like Skadden, Sidley, White & Case, but I'm concerned about my chances at a few of these because I only have a 2:1 at undergraduate level (Oxbridge, if that makes any difference).

I'm also worried that throughout my degree, I got a few 2:2 module marks, though I also got some high first class marks too, and a good 2:1 average in the second and final year, and a first overall in first year, then a Distinction in a Masters (London, not Oxbridge).

I'm just worried I won't be good enough for the paper sift at firms like Skadden, both/either because of the 2:1 or those few 2:2 module marks, and especially given I don't have any very exciting professional experiences either.

I don’t think a few 2.2 modules will exclude you, especially if you have strong results elsewhere.

Where 2.2 results can be detrimental is when they are a significant proportion of your results (eg when you only have one year’s worth of results).

Emily K

Valued Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 29, 2018

Hey, just wanted to say I don't think you should worry! I also have a 2.1 at undergrad level with a few 2.2 module marks and got an interview from Skadden and a couple other US firms last year so I doubt they will automatically exclude you based on your grades (even though I had the same worries as you!). Hope this helps, I'd just go for it and focus on making your applications the best they can be :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.