Motivation for those without stellar academics

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
Hi guys

A few months ago, I successfully applied for TCLA's premium scholarship and meant to begin documenting my application cycle on here. As I'm currently working as a paralegal and applying for TCs at the same time, I didn't really get chance!

A couple of days ago I was finally offered a TC at a magic circle firm, so I thought I'd write a quick post on here as I know those of you without a perfect academic record worry about your grades holding you back.

My profile - BCC at A level (with mitigating circumstances that led to me working in two jobs alongside my studies) and a 61% 2:1 at a non-RG uni. I also got a 2:2 in Contract. Pretty far from what most firms look for! I worked in two jobs during first year of uni and held one job for second and third year. I therefore didn't hold positions within the Law Society and had barely any extra-curriculars.

Post-uni I developed interesting hobbies, made a conscious effort to network by attending Legal Cheek events, invested some time learning about commercial law and the commercial world more generally, took rubbish temp paralegal jobs (which led to more interesting paralegal jobs) and basically worked extra hard to make my application strong to counteract my weaker grades. It took a couple of years and a fair few rejections, but I now have an offer from a great firm and an upcoming assessment centre at another magic circle firm. I also have a place on the Spring Vacation Scheme of a City law firm (that I won’t be undertaking)!

I guess my point is, we'll all get there. Don't write yourself off or compare yourself to anyone else. Be proactive in seeking opportunities that will help - TCLA, Strive, Aspiring Solicitors, Rare, even Instagrammers have useful info and resources that have helped me!

Please do feel free to reach out if you have any questions and I’ll try to help as much as I can :).

Best of luck everyone, keep applying and don't worry about rejections - literally everyone gets them!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys

A few months ago, I successfully applied for TCLA's premium scholarship and meant to begin documenting my application cycle on here. As I'm currently working as a paralegal and applying for TCs at the same time, I didn't really get chance!

A couple of days ago I was finally offered a TC at a magic circle firm, so I thought I'd write a quick post on here as I know those of you without a perfect academic record worry about your grades holding you back.

My profile - BCC at A level (with mitigating circumstances that led to me working in two jobs alongside my studies) and a 61% 2:1 at a non-RG uni. I also got a 2:2 in Contract. Pretty far from what most firms look for! I worked in two jobs during first year of uni and held one job for second and third year. I therefore didn't hold positions within the Law Society and had barely any extra-curriculars.

Post-uni I developed interesting hobbies, made a conscious effort to network by attending Legal Cheek events, invested some time learning about commercial law and the commercial world more generally, took rubbish temp paralegal jobs (which led to more interesting paralegal jobs) and basically worked extra hard to make my application strong to counteract my weaker grades. It took a couple of years and a fair few rejections, but I now have an offer from a great firm and an upcoming assessment centre at another magic circle firm. I also have a place on the Spring Vacation Scheme of a City law firm (that I won’t be undertaking)!

I guess my point is, we'll all get there. Don't write yourself off or compare yourself to anyone else. Be proactive in seeking opportunities that will help - TCLA, Strive, Aspiring Solicitors, Rare, even Instagrammers have useful info and resources that have helped me!

Please do feel free to reach out if you have any questions and I’ll try to help as much as I can :).

Best of luck everyone, keep applying and don't worry about rejections - literally everyone gets them!
    Ah this is amazing, well done you!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys

Huge congratulations! Absolutely delighted for you :D

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Was scrolling through this site looking for some hope and I came across your post! I’m in a very similar position in terms of academics and non- Russell group university. So you have no idea how much it means to me that you’ve shared your story. Thank you so so much!

I wish you nothing but joy and all of the success in the world with your TC! You’re so inspiring! You’ve got this!

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    May 27, 2019
    Thank you for sharing-this is inspiring. I never know whether law firms will take my mitigating circumstances into account when looking at my application.

Completely understand, I know some people think they can be something of double-edged sword or not really considered. If you’re concerned, you could always contact rec before applying to discuss - I think you can often tell a lot from their answers. I’ve occasionally had responses in the past that put me off applying to certain firms (whether misjudged or not) but equally responses that have given me confidence to apply and discuss my mitigating circumstances.

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    May 27, 2019
    Was scrolling through this site looking for some hope and I came across your post! I’m in a very similar position in terms of academics and non- Russell group university. So you have no idea how much it means to me that you’ve shared your story. Thank you so so much!

I wish you nothing but joy and all of the success in the world with your TC! You’re so inspiring! You’ve got this!

Aw thank you for such kind words!

Please do feel free to drop me a message if I can help at all if you’re applying for vac schemes or TCs. You’ve also got this!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I was in the throes of apps and a new job which meant I very sadly missed this post initially but what an incredible story and one of such great resilience and perseverance. You absolutely deserve your TC and achievements and this has honesty brightened my weekend. Thank you for sharing this and congratulations to you (sorry it’s belated!!)

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    May 27, 2019
    I was in the throes of apps and a new job which meant I very sadly missed this post initially but what an incredible story and one of such great resilience and perseverance. You absolutely deserve your TC and achievements and this has honesty brightened my weekend. Thank you for sharing this and congratulations to you (sorry it’s belated!!)

Aw thank you for the lovely message Alice, you’re too kind ☺️

Huge congrats on your TC too, absolutely well deserved!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    Hi all, this thread means a lot to me but I still need a lot of hope!
    I don't have stellar academics but was a paralegal at a magic circle firm for a few years. About a year in, I was approached by a few lawyers and a Partner to submit a TC app. I was so excited! The firm would never have considered me on my own due to my academics. Those lawyers fought hard for me with grad rec and I got an interview.
    ...and I failed! So after another attempt at application, I left the firm. Totally distraught and with very low self esteem
    Since then, I have had a couple of failed interviews but mostly outright application rejections.
    I pass the SJT and WG tests but still receive a rejection.
    Recently, I asked a contact at my previous magic circle firm to review one of my TC applications. They passed it on to a Partner and had someone from grad rec to review it. Their review: it was a very strong application, save my academics
    And sure enough, I sent my application a few weeks ago, passed the initial tests and then got a rejection email this week.

I can't help but feel I will never be able to get past this stage!!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi all, this thread means a lot to me but I still need a lot of hope!
    I don't have stellar academics but was a paralegal at a magic circle firm for a few years. About a year in, I was approached by a few lawyers and a Partner to submit a TC app. I was so excited! The firm would never have considered me on my own due to my academics. Those lawyers fought hard for me with grad rec and I got an interview.
    ...and I failed! So after another attempt at application, I left the firm. Totally distraught and with very low self esteem
    Since then, I have had a couple of failed interviews but mostly outright application rejections.
    I pass the SJT and WG tests but still receive a rejection.
    Recently, I asked a contact at my previous magic circle firm to review one of my TC applications. They passed it on to a Partner and had someone from grad rec to review it. Their review: it was a very strong application, save my academics
    And sure enough, I sent my application a few weeks ago, passed the initial tests and then got a rejection email this week.

I can't help but feel I will never be able to get past this stage!!

I can sympathise with you completely. My academics from school (and some parts of Uni) aren't great either. When applying, I ensured that my application included relevant mitigating factors which explained why my academic performance at certain points wasn't as strong as at others- I found this to be a massive help. The other thing that I did for certain firms who had a reputation for being more grade-focussed was actually email grad rec, explain my academic circumstances and ask, very simply, if I was wasting my time in applying to them. Some said that I wouldn't be able to progress further- hey, a bit disappointing, but not as disappointing as wasting 10+ hours on an application! Others encouraged me to apply in spite of those- and it meant I already had a line of communication with the firm before I'd even applied, which is almost invariably a good thing.

The other thing is that you may wish to consider firms whose academic requirements are less stringent. Certain Magic Circle and American firms, for example, have something of a reputation for being very grade-orientated. Others don't carry such a reputation, so may suit you better. Hope this helps!

Sayaono

Standard Member
    Mar 21, 2021
    Hi guys

Hi! Thank you for sharing your story! Really resonates with me.. I wanted to ask you if it will be counter productive to fill in mitigating circumstances even if I attained a 2:1 (low) with a 2:2 in my first year.. I have legitimate mitigating circumstances. However, I did attain a 2:1 nevertheless. Its just I know I could have performed better.. Kindly advise..

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! Thank you for sharing your story! Really resonates with me.. I wanted to ask you if it will be counter productive to fill in mitigating circumstances even if I attained a 2:1 (low) with a 2:2 in my first year.. I have legitimate mitigating circumstances. However, I did attain a 2:1 nevertheless. Its just I know I could have performed better.. Kindly advise..
    I’d personally always claim the circumstances if you feel your academic performance has been impacted and where your grades may cause concerns (which for some firms a 2.2 in first year might).

Obviously depends how comfortable you are declaring the circumstances though, and also whether you have any evidence to back it up (eg if your university were aware and can provide an academic reference to verify the circumstances).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.