m's successful(?) journey to a tc

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    so guess its time for me to use this tcla forum as my actual accountability tracker. still v lost atm but optimistic

background:
    - third year llb, studying in london
    - applied in 2nd year, v scattergram approach, got thru to an interview w slaughters (rightfully rejected because I knew nothing but also v grateful I was)
    - 3rd year: ive gotten thru VIs with w&c, v&e and got to an ac w CC for direct tc which I consider a massive win
    - atp im waiting on apps for travers and macfarlanes, I dont have much hope left for vac schemes if im honest and I might send off a few more TC apps before the cycle concludes but im kind of hoping I get a job as a paralegal/ LA post uni so I can figure out law as a career itself and get some actual experience under my belt.

currently:
    - idk if ive reached my point of delulu but im optimistic going forward becasuse I know my apps are strong enough to get thru the first stage and the rest I can try and work on. im hoping to get a bit more legal work experience. I was devastated after I got rejected post AC for CC but I like to find the silver lining in things and maybe im jus not ready yet, but theres no rush, we'll get there when the time is right

:) lovely to meet u all

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    IMG_0324.jpeg

y’all im so tired and exhausted, ive given up on this cycle. jk but not really. feb was draining and im gonna take some well earned rest( in the form of catching up on uni work)

im jus working on my dissertation atm and hoping that once ive made a dent in writing this, the flow comes back and i can shoot off some tc apps

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    so guess its time for me to use this tcla forum as my actual accountability tracker. still v lost atm but optimistic

background:
    - applied in 2nd year, v scattergram approach, got thru to an interview w slaughters (rightfully rejected because I knew nothing but also v grateful I was)
    - 3rd year: ive gotten thru VIs with w&c, v&e and got to an ac w CC for direct tc which I consider a massive win
    - atp im waiting on apps for travers and macfarlanes, I dont have much hope left for vac schemes if im honest and I might send off a few more TC apps before the cycle concludes but im kind of hoping I get a job as a paralegal/ LA post uni so I can figure out law as a career itself and get some actual experience under my belt.

currently:
    - idk if ive reached my point of delulu but im optimistic going forward becasuse I know my apps are strong enough to get thru the first stage and the rest I can try and work on. im hoping to get a bit more legal work experience. I was devastated after I got rejected post AC for CC but I like to find the silver lining in things and maybe im jus not ready yet, but theres no rush, we'll get there when the time is right

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with many on this forum as I think it will be very helpful!

You should be so proud of the milestones you have achieved such as getting an assessment centre at CC, which is so hard to get.

Your determination will get you far in life and this post is a testament to that, keep applying and keep following your dream!

Good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and mfuturetrainee

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023

background:

currently:

Hey @mfuturetrainee, I'm really glad to see you using the forum to stay accountable! Your optimism here is infectious - I'm so glad you can view all the obstacles so far as learning opportunities. An interesting perspective I came across during my first application cycle was the idea that failure is data. By going through the process and having attempted various stages already, you have some really valuable information about yourself. When I reached my second and final cycle, I collected loads of specific insights into my strengths and weaknesses, which I used to identify areas to improve. Gradually, I got better at individual elements and ended up with 7 ACs and 2 TCs in my second cycle (following 7 consecutive rejections from my first cycle)!

You know where you excel, and you know what you need to work on. This data can be instrumental in your journey to a TC if you use it to learn and re-inform your strategies! On a practical level, then, use the information from your feedback calls and reflections from past (successful and unsuccessful) applications to improve your upcoming applications/interviews.

I think your strategy of pursuing roles as a paralegal or legal assistant alongside your direct TC apps is the ideal approach. I would focus on maintaining a high standard for each of your applications and applying what you have learned from previous applications to improve your upcoming apps. And certainly, make sure you're taking that well-deserved rest and giving your university work the emphasis it deserves!

I have my fingers crossed for you! 😌

Last edited:

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Hey @mfuturetrainee, I'm really glad to see you using the forum to stay accountable! Your optimism here is infectious - I'm so glad you can view all the obstacles so far as learning opportunities. An interesting perspective I came across during my first application cycle was the idea that failure is data. By going through the process and having attempted various stages already, you have some really valuable information about yourself. When I reached my second and final cycle, I collected loads of specific insights into my strengths and weaknesses, which I used to identify areas to improve. Gradually, I got better at individual elements and ended up with 7 ACs and 2 TCs in my second cycle (following 7 consecutive rejections from my first cycle)!

You know where you excel, and you know what you need to work on. This data can be instrumental in your journey to a TC if you use it to learn and re-inform your strategies! On a practical level, then, use the information from your feedback calls and reflections from past (successful and unsuccessful) applications to improve your upcoming applications/interviews.

I think your strategy of pursuing roles as a paralegal or legal assistant alongside your direct TC apps is the ideal approach. I would focus on maintaining a high standard for each of your applications and applying what you have learned from previous applications to improve your upcoming apps. And certainly, make sure you're taking that well-deserved rest and giving your university work the emphasis it deserves!

I have my fingers crossed for you! 😌
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience with many on this forum as I think it will be very helpful!

You should be so proud of the milestones you have achieved such as getting an assessment centre at CC, which is so hard to get.

Your determination will get you far in life and this post is a testament to that, keep applying and keep following your dream!

Good luck!
    Congrats on making it to the AC for some huge firms and past the first stage for others.

This tells me it is only round the corner for you and you just have to keep going!

thank you everyone for your kind words and advice <33 grateful to have this community 🥹

Reactions: axelbeugre

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    so update:

I did do a massive slack last week because I was exhausted (now it's reading week, I have a dissertation and 2 formatives to complete (+ I also just got out of a relationship, tmi? tmi indeed) so its BEEN A LOT but I feel more refreshed going into this week

I used monday and Tuesday as a way to write up my first 2 sub chapters for my dissertation which actually makes sense? I love my research topic and its international human rights so im v passionate!!

although im still in no way shape or form ready to tackle applications again (processing a lot of stuff from last week) I feel bad that im slacking on my commercial awareness, so im going to try and update this forum w news articles ive been finding interesting and how this may relate to law firms --> im doing this because this was a feedback from my last AC where this was a weakness. SO DONT JUDGE ME WHEN I WRITE, im still new to this and its difficult

Futurama Squinting GIF

BUT if anybody finds whatever I write even remotely interesting and has another take on it, do reply to it pls because I like hearing about diff fresh perspectives and if im wrong lmk lol

also I love the thinking that @Aks.Khurana mentioned, definitely such a positive way to look at things, failure is indeed data and I will defo focus on my weaknesses and strengths and re-evaluate them when going to ACs or even when shooting off apps (+ hopefully my next relationship will be a bit more sustainable)

bye ily all

talk soon!!

Last edited:

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    hello hello
    ive been v awol atm ik, no updates have been made but a lot of reflection has! I decided to jus focus on uni deadlines, write my dissertation, and try and make it through easter break in one piece which has been somewhat of a success

planning to shoot off hopefully 2 v last minute tc apps by 31st, ik there r a few deadlines there so I might have to jus burn the midnight oil and get it done. my motivation has run dry so im hoping my discipline kicks in. besides reading a few headline FT news articles, I havent kept tracked ill be v honest which is prolly not advisable as everyone says try to keep disicplined with ur commercial awareness but the ramadan fatigue is real and im exhausted (caffeine withdrawal headache every single day, its bad) but im really enjoying this somewhat downtime period since I dont have many classes and im grateful to be given that time to jus spend it w my family and focus on reconnecting w myself which is always nice

anyway

ily all
    ik we're in the final stretch of the academic year for most, whether it be second year or third year or masters, etc, and I hope you all are powering thru <33 hopefully ill bounce back soon and come @ u w my updates

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    hello hello
    ive been v awol atm ik, no updates have been made but a lot of reflection has! I decided to jus focus on uni deadlines, write my dissertation, and try and make it through easter break in one piece which has been somewhat of a success

planning to shoot off hopefully 2 v last minute tc apps by 31st, ik there r a few deadlines there so I might have to jus burn the midnight oil and get it done. my motivation has run dry so im hoping my discipline kicks in. besides reading a few headline FT news articles, I havent kept tracked ill be v honest which is prolly not advisable as everyone says try to keep disicplined with ur commercial awareness but the ramadan fatigue is real and im exhausted (caffeine withdrawal headache every single day, its bad) but im really enjoying this somewhat downtime period since I dont have many classes and im grateful to be given that time to jus spend it w my family and focus on reconnecting w myself which is always nice

anyway

ily all
    ik we're in the final stretch of the academic year for most, whether it be second year or third year or masters, etc, and I hope you all are powering thru <33 hopefully ill bounce back soon and come @ u w my updates
    Such an amazing mindset, it is amazing to read how hard you are still working! Congratulations and keep going, I am sure you will accomplish your goals very soon!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.