My Journey to a TC

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Hi all,

I am currently a Paralegal, looking to secure a Training Contract.
I completed a Vac Scheme in 2020, but failed to convert it to a TC. After that, I took a break from applying in 2021, and used that time to really research firms and try to tackle each part of the application process.

For the 2022-2023 recruitment cycle, I have:
1) Submitted 3 Winter Vac Scheme Applications
2) 4 firms that I'm applying to for Spring Vac Schemes for and 3 firms that I'm applying to for Summer Vac Schemes.

For this cycle, if I don't manage to secure a TC, I'd at least like to get past the application stage again and make it onto an Assessment Center or secure another Vacation Scheme.

I have 4 goals over the next 7 days:
1) Submit DLA Piper Summer VS application
2) Finish Herbert Smith Freehills Spring VS application
3) Begin drafting Norton Rose Fulbright Spring VS application
4) Complete at least 50% of the TCLA Class: 'Develop your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More'

Looking forward to seeing what the year brings!

Future_lawyer_somewhere

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2019
Hey, I'm planning my NRF application as we speak. However = I note this year they have incorporated the use of the "Arctic Shores" test I believe as well as the WG test. (So just a heads up if you didn't already know).

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Hey, I'm planning my NRF application as we speak. However = I note this year they have incorporated the use of the "Arctic Shores" test I believe as well as the WG test. (So just a heads up if you didn't already know).
Hi! Thank you so much! I had been seeing some people talk about an Arctic Shores test on the Vac Scheme forum and I still don't know what the test is haha!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I am currently a Paralegal, looking to secure a Training Contract.
    I completed a Vac Scheme in 2020, but failed to convert it to a TC. After that, I took a break from applying in 2021, and used that time to really research firms and try to tackle each part of the application process.

For the 2022-2023 recruitment cycle, I have:
    1) Submitted 3 Winter Vac Scheme Applications
    2) 4 firms that I'm applying to for Spring Vac Schemes for and 3 firms that I'm applying to for Summer Vac Schemes.

For this cycle, if I don't manage to secure a TC, I'd at least like to get past the application stage again and make it onto an Assessment Center or secure another Vacation Scheme.

4) Complete at least 50% of the TCLA Class: 'Develop your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More'

Looking forward to seeing what the year brings!

I really like these specific goals @traineedreamer, especially by setting a specific time frame to achieve them by. How has your progress been?

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    I really like these specific goals @traineedreamer, especially by setting a specific time frame to achieve them by. How has your progress been?
    Thank you Jaysen! I have managed to submit my DLA Piper application, as well as finishing my HSF and NRF applications.
    I am spending the next few days on my fourth goal on the list, which is going through one of the TCLA classes!

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you Jaysen! I have managed to submit my DLA Piper application, as well as finishing my HSF and NRF applications.
    I am spending the next few days on my fourth goal on the list, which is going through one of the TCLA classes!
    I'm really glad to hear that. How long do you find it takes to write an average application? You are making excellent progress.

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    I'm really glad to hear that. How long do you find it takes to write an average application? You are making excellent progress.
    I'd say it takes me about 8 hours of writing to feel comfortable with my first draft. I'm finding it quicker to write my applications as I took a break from actively applying in 2021, but had all my research ready. This year I'm really trying to focus on improving my structure, and bringing my experiences to the forefront of my application.
    I try to complete one shorter application after a long one to give my brain a little bit of a break!

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Update: I'm super happy to have achieved all 4 goals last week and I'm now moving onto my next goals. I definitely found that having my list written here made me more accountable than my written to do list. I have a super free weekend, so I'm going to push myself a little bit more this week.

This weekend I will:
    1) Submit the final draft of my NRF Spring VS application
    2) Take the DLA Piper Watson Glaser test
    3) Draft my White & Case Spring VS application

By next Friday I will:
    1) Complete the TCLA Class: 'Develop your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More'
    2) Complete Hogan Lovells' Forage Virtual Internship
    3) Begin drafting my CMS application

Reactions: Mohamed Ashour

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Update: I'm super happy to have achieved all 4 goals last week and I'm now moving onto my next goals. I definitely found that having my list written here made me more accountable than my written to do list. I have a super free weekend, so I'm going to push myself a little bit more this week.

This weekend I will:

By next Friday I will:
    1) Complete the TCLA Class: 'Develop your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More'
    I'm glad you are finding these updates useful @traineedreamer. I think it's useful that you are aware of how long the average application takes because that makes goal-setting easier. This time should reduce as you write more applications.

Did you manage to send off your NRF application?

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    I'm glad you are finding these updates useful @traineedreamer. I think it's useful that you are aware of how long the average application takes because that makes goal-setting easier. This time should reduce as you write more applications.

Did you manage to send off your NRF application?
    Apologies for the late reply, I thought I replied on my phone, I guess it didn't send!
    Yes I'm already finding that my application writing time is becoming quicker, and I'm having to do less redrafts as my structure has improved so much!
    I sent off my NRF application last weekend, so I'm excited to hear back!

Reactions: Jaysen

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019

This weekend I will:

By next Friday I will:

Friday update time!
    Happy to have completed all of my weekend goals over the weekend, and my 'by next Friday' goals, however I'm exhausted!
    Upon reflection, I didn't factor in how tired I would be having resumed back to work this week after having annual leave. For the next week, I want to

1) Focus on Watson Glaser practice.
    2) Complete any redrafts and submit CMS application
    3) Type up notes from recent firm webinars and events I have attended
    4) Begin thinking about structure for Ashurst application, ready to start drafting after next week Friday.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Friday update time!
    Happy to have completed all of my weekend goals over the weekend, and my 'by next Friday' goals, however I'm exhausted!
    Upon reflection, I didn't factor in how tired I would be having resumed back to work this week after having annual leave. For the next week, I want to

4) Begin thinking about structure for Ashurst application, ready to start drafting after next week Friday.

Great to hear you sent off NRF! That's understandable - I think it's a very different situation if you are also working full time while trying to write applications. How do you find scheduling your time to work on applications?

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Great to hear you sent off NRF! That's understandable - I think it's a very different situation if you are also working full time while trying to write applications. How do you find scheduling your time to work on applications?

I try to use any free time during the working day to work on applications. We've been experiencing a lot of downtime whilst waiting for further client instructions lately, so if I'm working from home I spend the time working on applications. Outside of that, application writing is always the first priority when it comes to my to do list. If it means I have to wake up earlier, or stay up a bit later, I have to make the sacrifice so that I can get them sent off and work on my other goals too!

Reactions: AvniD and Jaysen

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Friday update time!

@traineedreamer I hope you've been able to recover from an entire of week of hard work! How are you planning to practice your Watson Glaser tests? I am linking a short post I've made here in case you're looking fro some pointers on where/how to start!

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    @traineedreamer I hope you've been able to recover from an entire of week of hard work! How are you planning to practice your Watson Glaser tests? I am linking a short post I've made here in case you're looking fro some pointers on where/how to start!
    I have thank you!
    I use assessment day and job test prep, as well as a critical thinking book that Alice Gossop recommended.
    Also a big fan of Idin's video on the TCLA courses.

I've just checked your post, and you've given me another resource so I'm sure that will give me the extra boost I need!
    I usually get about 32-35 right on practice tests, but I'm thinking I need to try and get a consistent 37-38 in the real thing!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and AvniD

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Friday update time!

Somehow my update didn't post on Friday, but it's never too late hah!

I have not yet completed goal number 2, so I'm still yet to submit my CMS application. I attended an application webinar with them, and it made me rethink my initial approach to the application, so I started it again over the weekend.
    My aim for this week was to:
    1) Continue Watson Glaser Practice (going well)
    2) Complete CMS application again by Wednesday (started over the weekend)
    3) Complete Ashurst application by Friday (starting tomorrow)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Somehow my update didn't post on Friday, but it's never too late hah!

I have not yet completed goal number 2, so I'm still yet to submit my CMS application. I attended an application webinar with them, and it made me rethink my initial approach to the application, so I started it again over the weekend.
    My aim for this week was to:
    1) Continue Watson Glaser Practice (going well)
    2) Complete CMS application again by Wednesday (started over the weekend)
    3) Complete Ashurst application by Friday (starting tomorrow)
    Completely agree- it's absolutely never too late!

I think it's a good decision to change the application based on the webinar you attended. It's important to give yourself some slack to work around when you receive new information/a more nuanced perspective re an application.

Happy to hear your WG practice is going well! Keep us in the loop with how these applications go for you and if you have any questions about the approach you've taken with them.

You've got this 💪

Reactions: Jaysen

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Completely agree- it's absolutely never too late!

I think it's a good decision to change the application based on the webinar you attended. It's important to give yourself some slack to work around when you receive new information/a more nuanced perspective re an application.

Happy to hear your WG practice is going well! Keep us in the loop with how these applications go for you and if you have any questions about the approach you've taken with them.

You've got this 💪

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I do have a question actually!
    When an application form asks if each work experience is SQE Qualifying Experience, are they asking if you've already had it signed off as QWE or is it asking whether the role would count as QWE?

I've had Document Review and Paralegal experience, but I've not done anything SQE related so haven't had anything signed as QWE. Do I need to click no?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.