My Journey to a TC

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you so much for your encouragement! I do have a question actually!
When an application form asks if each work experience is SQE Qualifying Experience, are they asking if you've already had it signed off as QWE or is it asking whether the role would count as QWE?

I've had Document Review and Paralegal experience, but I've not done anything SQE related so haven't had anything signed as QWE. Do I need to click no?
I am not entirely sure about this- have you tried checking with grad recruitment at the firm you're interested in? I'll also tag @Jessica Booker for a second opinion!

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
I am not entirely sure about this- have you tried checking with grad recruitment at the firm you're interested in? I'll also tag @Jessica Booker for a second opinion!
I just gave them a call and they said I'll tick no as the roles were not done for purposes of qualifying work experience so that's good to know!

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Somehow my update didn't post on Friday, but it's never too late hah!

I have not yet completed goal number 2, so I'm still yet to submit my CMS application. I attended an application webinar with them, and it made me rethink my initial approach to the application, so I started it again over the weekend.
My aim for this week was to:
1) Continue Watson Glaser Practice (going well)
2) Complete CMS application again by Wednesday (started over the weekend)
3) Complete Ashurst application by Friday (starting tomorrow)

Good news for this week! My Watson Glaser practice clearly paid off as I passed the test for a Paralegal role, and I've been offered a first stage interview! I'm really keen to secure this role, so I'll be spending most of the upcoming week preparing for my interview next Thursday.

My time management was a little off this week due to attending 2 firm events and having to make up the time missed from work after-hours, so I have not yet completed my CMS or Ashurst application, but I will be doing that this weekend.
My aim for the next week will be:
1) Prepare for job interview
2) Complete CMS and Ashurst applications
3) Look for resources to practice other firm tests (SJT and game-based assessments)
4) Type relevant notes from the 6+ A5 notebooks I've written in over the past 3 years, so that I can separate notes by firm (and declutter my room 😂)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for your encouragement! I do have a question actually!
When an application form asks if each work experience is SQE Qualifying Experience, are they asking if you've already had it signed off as QWE or is it asking whether the role would count as QWE?

I've had Document Review and Paralegal experience, but I've not done anything SQE related so haven't had anything signed as QWE. Do I need to click no?
It will be just whether you will get the QWE signed off (not necessarily that you have had it signed off).

If you have no desire to get previous work experience signed off, then answer no. If you expect the work to meet the QWE frameworks and you expect it to be accounted towards your two years of QWE, then put it as yes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I just gave them a call and they said I'll tick no as the roles were not done for purposes of qualifying work experience so that's good to know!
This is a slightly odd comment from the firm as many roles will not be deemed QWE roles by the firm who is employing the person but will classify as QWE in the eyes of the SRA.

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
This is a slightly odd comment from the firm as many roles will not be deemed QWE roles by the firm who is employing the person but will classify as QWE in the eyes of the SRA.
Ooh that's quite interesting. I'm hoping that doesn't become an issue down the line!
I hadn't yet thought about whether I'd want my prior work experience to form part of my QWE, but that's because I feel like I'd benefit from a full 2 years of training. Hopefully it's not an issue

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ooh that's quite interesting. I'm hoping that doesn't become an issue down the line!
I hadn't yet thought about whether I'd want my prior work experience to form part of my QWE, but that's because I feel like I'd benefit from a full 2 years of training. Hopefully it's not an issue
It’s not an issue at all really. You have the power to choose what you use as your qualifying work experience - the firm doesn’t. You don’t have to decide what is QWE until you submit your QWE reports for signing off, although it will be easier to do that when completing the work experience rather than trying to do it retrospectively several years later (unless you have clear records of the work you did from back then).

I can only see it being an issue if you wanted to qualify early and move firms as a NQ early that you would apply your previous experience at QWE. But by doing that, you aren’t really going to care what your training firm thinks about it. However, if you are doing a two year training contract, it would make sense to just apply that as QWE (it’s a lot easier to do this).

• ℹ️

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
It’s not an issue at all really. You have the power to choose what you use as your qualifying work experience - the firm doesn’t. You don’t have to decide what is QWE until you submit your QWE reports for signing off, although it will be easier to do that when completing the work experience rather than trying to do it retrospectively several years later (unless you have clear records of the work you did from back then).

I can only see it being an issue if you wanted to qualify early and move firms as a NQ early that you would apply your previous experience at QWE. But by doing that, you aren’t really going to care what your training firm thinks about it. However, if you are doing a two year training contract, it would make sense to just apply that as QWE (it’s a lot easier to do this).
Ah, thank you so much! This has actually been very insightful information!

• 🤝

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Good news for this week! My Watson Glaser practice clearly paid off as I passed the test for a Paralegal role, and I've been offered a first stage interview! I'm really keen to secure this role, so I'll be spending most of the upcoming week preparing for my interview next Thursday.

My time management was a little off this week due to attending 2 firm events and having to make up the time missed from work after-hours, so I have not yet completed my CMS or Ashurst application, but I will be doing that this weekend.
My aim for the next week will be:
1) Prepare for job interview
2) Complete CMS and Ashurst applications
3) Look for resources to practice other firm tests (SJT and game-based assessments)
4) Type relevant notes from the 6+ A5 notebooks I've written in over the past 3 years, so that I can separate notes by firm (and declutter my room 😂)
It's been a few weeks since my last update but for a good reason!
I spent a lot of time that week preparing for that job interview, I was then offered a 2nd stage interview with a mini task-based assessment which I freaked out about and spent a lot of time preparing. However, after a few days of waiting, I was offered the job last week! It's a really cool Paralegal role at a Magic Circle firm and I cannot believe I succeeded with such an intense recruitment process that kind of mirrored a TC one!

I never would have imagined myself, a non RG graduate would be working at a Magic Circle firm and I truly believe that this role will be a stepping stone for more career progression and hopefully a TC.

I've only received Vac Scheme rejections so far, but this has helped me to end the year on a high note and just goes to show that sometimes Vac Scheme/TC rejections aren't necessarily about you as a candidate. For context, I received a Vac Scheme rejection from this same firm the day I applied for this Paralegal role.

Without writing too much, I am going to spend the rest of this side the month finishing up outstanding applications, and then 2023 will be focussed on increasing my knowledge to prepare me for potential assessment centres and the profession as a whole!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
It's been a few weeks since my last update but for a good reason!
I spent a lot of time that week preparing for that job interview, I was then offered a 2nd stage interview with a mini task-based assessment which I freaked out about and spent a lot of time preparing. However, after a few days of waiting, I was offered the job last week! It's a really cool Paralegal role at a Magic Circle firm and I cannot believe I succeeded with such an intense recruitment process that kind of mirrored a TC one!

I never would have imagined myself, a non RG graduate would be working at a Magic Circle firm and I truly believe that this role will be a stepping stone for more career progression and hopefully a TC.

I've only received Vac Scheme rejections so far, but this has helped me to end the year on a high note and just goes to show that sometimes Vac Scheme/TC rejections aren't necessarily about you as a candidate. For context, I received a Vac Scheme rejection from this same firm the day I applied for this Paralegal role.

Without writing too much, I am going to spend the rest of this side the month finishing up outstanding applications, and then 2023 will be focussed on increasing my knowledge to prepare me for potential assessment centres and the profession as a whole!
Congratulations on securing your Paralegal role 👏👏👏 I can tell that this has been such a confidence boost for you and exactly the affirmation you needed and I am so happy for you!

I think you're on the right track in how you're approaching this process- maybe those other rejections needed to happen to allow this opportunity to shine through. Strategising how you can treat every rejection as a redirection towards your goals really is the essence of this process, and in some ways, the whole point.

Really well done on a superb end to the year and I look forward to seeing what 2023 beings for you!

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Congratulations on securing your Paralegal role 👏👏👏 I can tell that this has been such a confidence boost for you and exactly the affirmation you needed and I am so happy for you!

I think you're on the right track in how you're approaching this process- maybe those other rejections needed to happen to allow this opportunity to shine through. Strategising how you can treat every rejection as a redirection towards your goals really is the essence of this process, and in some ways, the whole point.

Really well done on a superb end to the year and I look forward to seeing what 2023 beings for you!
Thank you so much! It's been such a confidence boost, I still can't believe it!
Although this cycle hasn't been going how I expected, I've really learned how to deal with the rejections better and move on from it. Every time that we learn how to handle this TC journey better is a win in my eyes!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and support in this thread and the Vac Scheme thread. I hope you have a wonderful holiday period!

• 🤝
Reactions: traineesolicitor123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.