My Journey to a TC

Louise59

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hi Joel,

I love reading TC journeys, it's always so motivating.

I enjoyed completing the Weil Private Equity online internship too! With all the steps you are taking to strengthen your application and knowledge, I am sure the three modules will not hold you back from securing a TC in time.

Wishing you all the best for your applications :)!!

Reactions: Jaysen

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Thanks for the kind words!

I think I'm going to cast a decently wide net in terms where I'll apply but the top firms I'm interested in are:
    • Clifford Chance
    • Freshfields
    • Latham & Watkins
    • White & Case
    I'm really interested in big M&A deals so I'd love to work at one of the magic circle firms, however I also think that it could be better to train at a US firm due to the smaller cohort sizes, I fell that allows you to get more responsibility and hands on practice right out of the gate. Despite that, I've heard that UK firms are better at training than the US ones but I have to do more research.

I've also heard REALLY good things about Burges Salmon so even though they aren't as big and aren't in London, I think I'd still love to do a VS there to learn more about them.
    In terms of training, from what I gathered the main difference between US and UK firms is the formality of the training. US firms are known for giving early responsibilities (as you mentioned the small trainee cohort plays a part), a lean team structure and offering less formal training. I guess it depends the best way for you to learn ?

White & Case made a lot of TC offers to their vac schemers this year apparently so definitely worth applying to their VS too alongside Burger Salmon next year!

Looking forward to hearing your progress.

Reactions: ColourfulGenie

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Hey guys!

I was inspired by @confusedlawstudent posts and decided it was time for me to start documenting my journey toward a TC and holding myself accountable.

I'm an international law student starting my third year this September and this is where I'm at currently :
    • I had poor first year grades (2:2) so I wasn't able to apply for vacation schemes last cycle. However, this past year I've been able to get a strong 2:1, just barely missing out on a first
    • I also was able to improve my extra curriculars last year, I was involved with the Pro Bono fundraising team at my Uni's Law Society as well as make the finals of a mooting competition
    • This upcoming year I'm going to be working at my Uni's Pro Bono Law clinic + hopefully be an associate editor on the Law Review (application process is still ongoing)
    • Right now what I'm doing to work towards my goals is publish a newsletter where I cover issues that are related to either commercial or legal developments. The first issue is now live (link)
    • I've also began doing the various Forage virtual work experiences, I've completed the Weil Private Equity one (it was quite fun, highly recommend) and I'm planning on doing the White and Case one next
    I want to focus on getting more work experiences (I only have one) and generally strengthening my CV as I'm worried that the three modules in which I scored a 2:2 during first year will really hurt my application chances. I'm hoping to attend open days this fall for firms which offer them and hopefully attend a winter vacation scheme (although may not be able to due to visa work restrictions).

Will keep you guys posted!
    Wishing you all the best!!! I'm sure you're gonna do great :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys!

I was inspired by @confusedlawstudent posts and decided it was time for me to start documenting my journey toward a TC and holding myself accountable.

I'm an international law student starting my third year this September and this is where I'm at currently :
    • I had poor first year grades (2:2) so I wasn't able to apply for vacation schemes last cycle. However, this past year I've been able to get a strong 2:1, just barely missing out on a first
    • I also was able to improve my extra curriculars last year, I was involved with the Pro Bono fundraising team at my Uni's Law Society as well as make the finals of a mooting competition
    • This upcoming year I'm going to be working at my Uni's Pro Bono Law clinic + hopefully be an associate editor on the Law Review (application process is still ongoing)
    • Right now what I'm doing to work towards my goals is publish a newsletter where I cover issues that are related to either commercial or legal developments. The first issue is now live (link)
    • I've also began doing the various Forage virtual work experiences, I've completed the Weil Private Equity one (it was quite fun, highly recommend) and I'm planning on doing the White and Case one next
    I want to focus on getting more work experiences (I only have one) and generally strengthening my CV as I'm worried that the three modules in which I scored a 2:2 during first year will really hurt my application chances. I'm hoping to attend open days this fall for firms which offer them and hopefully attend a winter vacation scheme (although may not be able to due to visa work restrictions).

Will keep you guys posted!
    Looking forward to following your journey. Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.