My journey to a TC

Slog4TC

Standard Member
Sep 13, 2023
I am a recent non-law grad from a Russell Group university. My final degree classification has not been confirmed due to the strikes, but I will receive either a high 2.1 or a first

I have been applying to paralegal roles since I graduated at the start of summer. I have not found any success - maybe due to the fact I do not have any law qualifications...?

I am considering self-funding the PGDL, starting in January, and applying to TCs from now, onwards. I have never applied to TCs before, as I previously wanted to pursue the bar.

I would really appreciate some advice. I am not sure if I am good enough to be trying for a TC. Scared about self-funding the PGDL - what if I don't get any offers!

Anyone in a similar position or have any advice? Would appreciate it so much.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Runner

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Your A-levels (or other qualifications if it is an equivalent) will be fine.

Paralegal work as a non law grad will be more difficult though, so I am not surprised to hear this. You may want to look at non legal roles in law firms as a bit of a step into the sector or

It sounds like you haven’t really tried applying for vacation schemes/TCs yet if you were previously looking at the Bar. I would give some winter/spring vacation scheme applications a go and see if you have much success before then deciding on whether to do the GDL in 2024 - you can sign up to the GDL very close to the course date, and so you are not going to need a commitment for a good 4+ months.

Runner

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 9, 2023
I am a recent non-law grad from a Russell Group university. My final degree classification has not been confirmed due to the strikes, but I will receive either a high 2.1 or a first

I have been applying to paralegal roles since I graduated at the start of summer. I have not found any success - maybe due to the fact I do not have any law qualifications...?

I am considering self-funding the PGDL, starting in January, and applying to TCs from now, onwards. I have never applied to TCs before, as I previously wanted to pursue the bar.

I would really appreciate some advice. I am not sure if I am good enough to be trying for a TC. Scared about self-funding the PGDL - what if I don't get any offers!

Anyone in a similar position or have any advice? Would appreciate it so much.

I feel you can definitely do it! I was in the same position as you, worrying about the financial cost and time with PGDL, but glad I did as I have been been lucky enough to secure a TC at a US firm. If you would like any specific advice, feel free to DM me!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.