My journey to securing a TC having self-funded the GDL

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
Hello!

I've been selected for the Silver Scholarship this year and TCLA has been invaluable in my understanding of commercial law. Having never studied Economics or Business, this website has been integral in developing my commercial awareness.

I'm a 2020 graduate of a humanities subject from a RG university. My academic record was solid until university where I graduated with a 64, and low 60s throughout university apart from my third year where I studied abroad in a different continent. I was very disappointed by my academic performance at university but I had some mitigating circumstances, suffering from mental health difficulties.

I was also recently diagnosed with ADHD so I'd been struggling with an undiagnosed learning difficulty - if you suspect the same, please get diagnosed especially whilst you have the support of your university! My diagnosis has allowed me to get extra time in ACs and tests.

For some time, I agonised over whether or not to self-fund the law conversion and eventually decided to do it (using the postgraduate loan to complete a law conversion "masters"). This was especially motivated by the fact if you enrol onto a GDL before 31 August, you can still take the usual route to qualifying with a LPC. I was a bit unsure about being one of the first to undertake the SQE.

For anyone else who isn't sure, I would advise you to be very cautious. Have you got good work experience? Are your academics sufficient? Do you understand commercial law? Have you attended open days and special events? Many of these providers are very willing to take your money regardless of whether you are likely to land a TC and it might be more worth it to take a gap year and apply for work experience.

For me, I would say the investment has been generally worth it as it has solidified my decision to pursue law so I have been able to really throw myself into my applications and self-development. I also knew that I could at least paralegal after gaining this qualification, which would make my applications stronger. Furthermore, I'm doing the course at BPP which is very commercially-focussed (I also got two scholarships which reduced my fees greatly).

I recently received a VS offer for an international law firm and am waiting to hear back from quite a few of the other law firms to which I applied! I really hope to secure a TC by the end of the year :)

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello!

I've been selected for the Silver Scholarship this year and TCLA has been invaluable in my understanding of commercial law. Having never studied Economics or Business, this website has been integral in developing my commercial awareness.

I'm a 2020 graduate of History from a RG university. My academic record was solid until university where I graduated with a 64, and low 60s throughout university apart from my third year where I studied abroad in the US. I was very disappointed by my academic performance at university but I had some mitigating circumstances, suffering from mental health difficulties.

I was also recently diagnosed with ADHD so I'd been struggling with an undiagnosed learning difficulty - if you suspect the same, please get diagnosed especially whilst you have the support of your university! My diagnosis has allowed me to get extra time in ACs and tests.

For some time, I agonised over whether or not to self-fund the law conversion and eventually decided to do it (using the postgraduate loan to complete a law conversion "masters"). This was especially motivated by the fact if you enrol onto a GDL before 31 August, you can still take the usual route to qualifying with a LPC. I was a bit unsure about being one of the first to undertake the SQE.

For anyone else who isn't sure, I would advise you to be very cautious. Have you got good work experience? Are your academics sufficient? Do you understand commercial law? Have you attended open days and special events? Many of these providers are very willing to take your money regardless of whether you are likely to land a TC and it might be more worth it to take a gap year and apply for work experience.

For me, I would say the investment has been generally worth it as it has solidified my decision to pursue law so I have been able to really throw myself into my applications and self-development. I also knew that I could at least paralegal after gaining this qualification, which would make my applications stronger. Furthermore, I'm doing the course at BPP which is very commercially-focussed (I also got two scholarships which reduced my fees greatly).

I recently received a VS offer for DLA Piper and am waiting to hear back from quite a few of the other law firms to which I applied! I really hope to secure a TC by the end of the year :)

It's amazing to have you here, thank you so much for posting! Congratulations on DLA Piper and do keep us updated :).

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hello!

I'm a 2020 graduate of History from a RG university. My academic record was solid until university where I graduated with a 64, and low 60s throughout university apart from my third year where I studied abroad in the US. I was very disappointed by my academic performance at university but I had some mitigating circumstances, suffering from mental health difficulties.

I recently received a VS offer for DLA Piper and am waiting to hear back from quite a few of the other law firms to which I applied! I really hope to secure a TC by the end of the year :)
    Really interesting and engaging story, congratulations on your scholarship and DLA VS!

Thank you also for sharing such personal information, I'm sure other candidates in the same position will be very reassured that they're not the only ones in that position!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hello!

This is amazing - well done on securing your VS! Thank you for being so open on here too and I agree, the BPP course is excellent for those applying to commercial focused firms because of the new addition of company law especially (which I really enjoyed!)

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    After doing another VS at a US law firm, I was rejected from both firms last summer after the VSs which was quite devastating for me. However, I have recently secured a TC with my dream MC law firm which hopefully shows that rejection can be a method of redirection. It does only take that one yes! I was so sure if I got rejected again, I was going to give up on law completely. I really do believe that almost anything is possible with the right amount of luck and access to resources (which I received through this scholarship, this forum as well as multiple generous people’s advice)! My biggest advice would be to seek help from all and make use of every resource available to you. Some people who helped me the most were literally those who I had met once and hadn’t spoken to for years.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jenn-H

Standard Member
    Feb 23, 2022
    After doing another VS at a US law firm, I was rejected from both firms last summer after the VSs which was quite devastating for me. However, I have recently secured a TC with my dream MC law firm which hopefully shows that rejection can be a method of redirection. It does only take that one yes! I was so sure if I got rejected again, I was going to give up on law completely. I really do believe that almost anything is possible with the right amount of luck and access to resources (which I received through this scholarship, this forum as well as multiple generous people’s advice)! My biggest advice would be to seek help from all and make use of every resource available to you. Some people who helped me the most were literally those who I had met once and hadn’t spoken to for years.
    Hey, I am also hoping to get a TC during the GDl. What made you choose BPP, and how has your experience with them been so far? Also any tips for getting a TC while doing the GDL.

ericma

Jul 13, 2022
    Hi, I have completed the PGDL but have not secured a training contract. I have also been trying to apply for paralegal roles but have not received any offer. I am reluctant to proceed to the next stage of my legal education, which is the LPC course, not knowing what I will get out of it. Do you have any advice?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.