New job

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
Hi, I just accepted a role as a paralegal. I don’t really have experience of working as a a paralegal. I have only got one month of legal experience. I was wondering if anyone has a tips or can share how they coped with challenges as a new paralegal.

jamielidchi

Apr 1, 2023
For me, it's involved:
- carefully prioritising my workload - that means thinking about deadlines and urgency and either using the task management platform your company uses or making use of one yourself to ensure that work doesn't get lost / deadlines missed
- make use of your colleagues and build strong relationships so that they can help you, just as you help them
- don't be afraid to ask for help - senior figures at the firm would rather that work was done well due to you asking a question, than done poorly due to you being too afraid to ask

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
For me, it's involved:
- carefully prioritising my workload - that means thinking about deadlines and urgency and either using the task management platform your company uses or making use of one yourself to ensure that work doesn't get lost / deadlines missed
- make use of your colleagues and build strong relationships so that they can help you, just as you help them
- don't be afraid to ask for help - senior figures at the firm would rather that work was done well due to you asking a question, than done poorly due to you being too afraid to ask
Thank so you much for your advice!

Yusuf Panah

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 30, 2019
    Hi, I just accepted a role as a paralegal. I don’t really have experience of working as a a paralegal. I have only got one month of legal experience. I was wondering if anyone has a tips or can share how they coped with challenges as a new paralegal.
    Firstly, congrats on the new role! I’m not sure if your position is in a firm or in-house so I’ve come up with a few generic tips that have helped me as a paralegal.

1. Try to suggest a solution or input your own thoughts when asking for help
    2. Be as proactive as you can be (e.g. let your team know whenever you have capacity
    3. Practical law is your best friend (at times)
    4. Be very organised - try to use your calendar as often as you can to diarise important deadlines, tasks, etc

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.