Non-law struggling to apply

cleo21

Dec 24, 2019
Hi guys,

I am a third-year History student (I'm currently on a year abroad so not final year) and I want to apply for vacation schemes, however, I feel a bit out of my depth here. I realised that I wanted to be a commercial lawyer later on this year so I have not been to any open days, insight days or even networked. I'm even struggling to answer the questions asked in the vacation scheme applications and the deadlines are coming up soon. Should I still attempt to apply?

thanks in advance

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    Hi guys,

I am a third-year History student (I'm currently on a year abroad so not final year) and I want to apply for vacation schemes, however, I feel a bit out of my depth here. I realised that I wanted to be a commercial lawyer later on this year so I have not been to any open days, insight days or even networked. I'm even struggling to answer the questions asked in the vacation scheme applications and the deadlines are coming up soon. Should I still attempt to apply?

thanks in advance
    We are so afraid of failing and we dont feel good enough to apply. I say apply. Either you win or you learn for the next year!

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Hi guys,

thanks in advance
    just apply, don't be put down by this. Most people don't know even in their 50's if their job is actually what they wanted. Welcome to the uncertain world :)

• 📥
    Reactions: A4991

A4991

Star Member
    Nov 20, 2019
    Hi guys,

thanks in advance

I reckon you need to chill and not send anything off like some people have recommended. I would spend the rest of your third year trying to get a better understanding of why law and the industry in general. Go to as many events as you can and try to build up a network/connection with firms that interest you. In your final year you can then apply to vacation schemes and it will be fine. There is no point doing apps at this late stage if you haven't made any connections with the firms or been to any open days.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays and start fresh next year. In addition, if you are abroad it's going to be really hard for you to attend interviews/ assessment centres so I would probably wait until final year. I went to lots and lots of events in my final year and focused on getting the highest possible grade I could in my degree. After I graduated in september this year is when I started applying for vacation schemes and was largely successful because I had a lot of time to really focus my applications.

Hope this helps.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.