Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

Not Completed

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme 2020

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

10 am – Arrival/Greeted by HR/ Briefing for the day

10. 30 am – Case Study Exercise

11.40 am – Partner Interviews/Negotiation Exercise (candidates are split into two groups by HR with one group doing interviews first while the other group does the negotiation exercise)

1.30pm – Lunch and tour of the firm with trainees

3.00 pm – End

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Case Study

The case study is a hand written exercise to be completed within 40 minutes. The case study this year was about your client acquiring a fictional company. You are given a list of issues with the acquisition are asked to write a report to the client detailing the consequences of these issues to the client, any further information you would require, and potential resolutions to the issues.

Negotiation Exercise

The negotiation scenario is essentially a follow up from the case study scenario. It was a two party negotiation with two people representing each side. You are given 20 minutes to read through your materials and prepare points with your teammate and then 30 minutes to negotiate. We were only notified 5 minutes before our time was up, so I think we were also assessed on keeping time and how we were using our time. During both the preparation and the actual negotiation an associate was in the room assessing us.

Interview

1-hour interview with two partners. My interview was solely focused on my application with no competency questions.

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

Some general questions they asked were:

1. Why law?
    2. What would we have to consider when opening a new office in a different country?
    3. Where do you think we should open our next office?

Scenario based questions
    1. I was asked if NRF should decide not take on certain types of clients. They specifically asked if they should agree to do work for North Korea.
    2. You put your money in a vending machine and don’t end up getting your item. You are a particularly litigious person and want to sue someone for it. Who would you sue and why?

I had quite a lot of follow up questions to this like “Since your claim is contractual what are the basics of a contract?” “Why sue the manufacturer and not the operator of the machine?”

Commercial Awareness Questions

These were very much based on things I said I had done during different internships. I specifically got asked:

1. What issues do you think are facing the automobile industry?
    2. Can you explain what’s happening with LIBOR?

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Case Study

Practice handwriting the day before so having to use a pen and paper as opposed to typing does not throw you off. I think having a good understanding of how certain contractual provisions like indemnities; warranties etc. will help with trying to suggest resolutions to the client. Highly recommend the M&A Course on TCLA Premium for this. Or you could read Jake Schogger's book.

Negotiation Exercise

For the negotiation exercise, definitely make a list of all your clients’ demands and what you and your partner’s starting points (to offer to the other side) are for negotiating these demands. Also it will really help if during the preparation period you and your partner spend a few minutes deciding who will take the lead on which issues so that both of you have equal opportunity to showcase your skills.

The instructions specifically say make sure you come to an agreement on all terms so be conscious of time, offer to put a timer on the table so everyone knows if negotiating one point is taking too long, and don’t take too much of a hard/non-negotiable stance on certain issues.

Interview

Make sure you really know the ins and outs of anything you mentioned in your cover letter or application form.

Look out for anything they could use to ask you a commercial awareness question and read up on its latest developments in the news. This could be anything you've done during your work experiences or deals you've mentioned.

I would also recommend being prepared for the “where should we open our next office” question because a couple of other people on my AC were asked that and from researching the NRF AC online I know this is a common question that gets asked.

Try and link your answers back to NRF as much as possible because if you don’t get asked why NRF (I wasn’t) then there would be no other way to show them that you really want to be at their firm/have done your research.

You can’t really prepare for the scenario-based questions, especially because they really push you and then give you new information to consider/confuse you with. Just do your best to work through the question logically and really explain your thought process. Don’t be afraid to really defend your answer but at the same time they’re fine with you taking back something you said or admitting maybe you’ve made a mistake with something you said.

Were you successful?

Yes

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

January 2020

Please specify what the interview was for.

Training Contract 2022

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

There were 8 of us in total. 10am Arrival, 10.15am Intro from Graduate Recruitment outlining the afternoon, 11.30am Written Exercise, 12.30pm Group Exercise, 1.15pm Interview with Two Partners, 2pm Lunch

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Written Exercise - We were given around 50 minutes. We had to read documents concerning a proposed acquisition and problems associated with it. We had to prepare a report/letter of advice detailing why these were problems and how they could be solved. It was very similar to your typical case study i.e. pending litigation against the target.

Group Exercise - This followed on from the facts of the written exercise. We were split into pairs, one pair acting for the buyer, and the other acting for the owner of the target who would remain as a director after the acquisition. We were given 25 minutes in our pairs to read through further information and our client's goals and work together to determine how we would negotiate. Then both pairs came together and we negotiated the terms of the director's service agreement, shares etc. I believe we had 15-20 minutes to do this.

Interview - The interview was with two partners and was the most informal interview I've ever experienced - there were no set list of questions and the partners were free-styling it, although they had read through my application before hand.

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

1) Why NRF?
    2) Why do you want to work for an international firm?
    3) Why law?
    4) Challenges facing the firm?
    5) Impact of Brexit on the firm?
    6) News story that has interested you
    7) Situational question about a joint venture agreement - the other party had made a mistake on the agreement that benefits your client, what do you do?

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Written Exercise - Structure your answer clearly with subheadings. Make sure you stay on top of the time as it goes very quickly. Not only explain why each problem is an issue for the company looking to acquire the target, but provide options on how these problems can be solved - for this you need some knowledge of things like indemnities/warranties - and think beyond the law - some things can be solved by just an agreement.

Group Exercise - You are observed at all times so make sure you and your partner agree on your limits i.e how much you are going to move on certain terms, and designate who is going to take control of what. Stay calm in the negotiation and don't be afraid to take a minute to look over the information and notes. Also stay on top of the time as you want to make sure all points are agreed on before the end of the negotiation.

Interview - Be prepared to be interrupted - A LOT. I didn't get to answer a lot of my questions fully. For example, I would only get through 1 out of 3 reasons for NRF because the interviewers would quickly ask me questions. (In my feedback this wasn't a problem however it is quite off-putting in the interview when new topics keep being introduced). You really do get grilled on some of the things you say, so make sure you can justify everything and stand your ground. Keep your answers pretty short (my feedback was that my answers were too long).

Were you successful?

No

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.