NQ positions, recruiters applying 2022

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I'm returning to the TCLA forums for the first time since I received my TC offer back in April 2021 and started in September 2021.

The less talked about step in the lawyer career path however, is life after the TC.

Some folks will love their firms, seats, departments etc and will looking for opportunities to be kept on. My query is for trainees that may be looking to fly the nest on or shortly after qualifying and seeing what else the market may offer.

Some queries I have now with 9/10 months left of my TC:
    - What is typically the advice given to trainees in their 3rd/4th seat who are considering making the move;
    - when is the best time to start looking;
    - is it good practice to contact NQs/junior solicitors in firms we are interested in in a similar manner to when we were applying for TCs;
    - have people had good experiences with recruiters they would like to share?

I'll probably have more thoughts (worries) that are normally best discussed in-person with NQs who have been in this position before. But at the very least I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I'm returning to the TCLA forums for the first time since I received my TC offer back in April 2021 and started in September 2021.

The less talked about step in the lawyer career path however, is life after the TC.

Some folks will love their firms, seats, departments etc and will looking for opportunities to be kept on. My query is for trainees that may be looking to fly the nest on or shortly after qualifying and seeing what else the market may offer.

- What is typically the advice given to trainees in their 3rd/4th seat who are considering making the move;
    - is it good practice to contact NQs/junior solicitors in firms we are interested in in a similar manner to when we were applying for TCs;

I'll probably have more thoughts (worries) that are normally best discussed in-person with NQs who have been in this position before. But at the very least I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread
    Do you know there is now a specific forum for junior lawyers, ie those with a TC offer and beyond? You might find some inspiration there too.

Click on the 'Forums' link and I think it should be at the top?

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Fab! What are these called and do you have links? I can see there’s a private trainee forum but I think my access needs to be approved @Alison C
    I am tagging in @Erin and @Jaysen who will be able to confirm how you can get access to the Junior Lawyers Community

• 🏆
    Reactions: Erin and FM302989

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021

I have a bit longer than you before i finish my TC but I have been starting to look into life after TC and would be very interested in this discussion also!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    General rules from my perspective:

Start registering with recruitment agencies just over 6 months before the end of your TC - some firms might work more to 7-8 months ahead, especially if they only work with one trainee intake a year, but the majority of firms who have two intakes a year, they will typically only start the plan any NQ recruitment once the previous round has finished. Budgets and headcount rarely get agreed and signed off much more than 6-7 months in advance, and even when they do, it usually takes a few weeks for recruitment processes to be agreed/roles advertised etc - it can be a bit of a slow burn given that the NQ talent typically is only available at 1-2 times of the year.

Connecting with trainees/associates at the firm becomes a little more nuanced at NQ level. You have to be mindful that the trainees might be competing for the same NQ roles as you, and also junior associates are rarely involved in the recruitment process. If you have a specific interest in moving to a particular team/practice area, you may want to connect more with the hiring partners - they will be the ones deciding on whether to take on NQs and will be more clued up on whether they will be hiring from the internal trainee population or not.

I am not up to date with the best recruitment agencies. However, for many trainees, making sure their LinkedIn is up to date means they may be targetted directly by recruiters anyway. Depending on your interests and the demand/supply of NQ lawyers in that area, you could find yourself tapped up quite a lot by recruiters trying to fill NQ roles.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Welcome back to the forum!

We do now have a new private forum for future trainees and trainees. You can request access to join via this form.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.