Odd situation in regard to my academics. Need opinions.

Theyoungone

Mar 28, 2021
Hello all. My academic profile is as follows:

GCSE's: 655542
A-levels: A*A*A* (Predicted, but due to CAG its unlikely ill get below A*A*A)

Somehow (possibly due to contextual factors) ive managed to get an offer at UCL for law. My poor GCSEs were due to medical circumstances, and id really like to work at a magic circle/silver circle firm (I know that's an outdated term, but the types of firms normally categorised under SC in terms of pay and prestige).

My question is, will my GCSEs disadvantage me in applying for training contracts and vacation schemes, presuming I am on track for a 2:1 or first. Will they be considerate to my medical circumstance? wasn't anything severe, but I was on anti-depressants and sleeping meds, so my attendance was about 20% from year 9-11. I have a note from my doctor specifically saying in their professional opinion, I should no longer go to school under medical grounds

Really look forward to hearing back as im constantly wondering if ill be wasting my time applying to the MC and SC firms.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Somehow (possibly due to contextual factors) ive managed to get an offer at UCL for law. My poor GCSEs were due to medical circumstances, and id really like to work at a magic circle/silver circle firm (I know that's an outdated term, but the types of firms normally categorised under SC in terms of pay and prestige).

My question is, will my GCSEs disadvantage me in applying for training contracts and vacation schemes, presuming I am on track for a 2:1 or first. Will they be considerate to my medical circumstance? wasn't anything severe, but I was on anti-depressants and sleeping meds, so my attendance was about 20% from year 9-11. I have a note from my doctor specifically saying in their professional opinion, I should no longer go to school under medical grounds

Really look forward to hearing back as im constantly wondering if ill be wasting my time applying to the MC and SC firms.
    With those A-level grades, you will be absolutely fine :)

Most firms only have an A-level requirement (which you will more than surpass) and even then quite a lot of firms are scrapping them so I really wouldn't worry about your GCSEs even if you didn't have extenuating circumstances.

However, the fact that you have extenuating circumstances and excellent A-level grades will, I imagine, remove any doubts from the mind of a recruiter if you're on track for a 2.1/first so you can definitely apply to MC, SC and US firms if you wanted without having to worry :)

Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Firms don’t really care about GCSEs and even if they did you have mitigating circumstances. There isn’t an issue here at all.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Theyoungone

Mar 28, 2021
    With those A-level grades, you will be absolutely fine :)

Most firms only have an A-level requirement (which you will more than surpass) and even then quite a lot of firms are scrapping them so I really wouldn't worry about your GCSEs even if you didn't have extenuating circumstances.

However, the fact that you have extenuating circumstances and excellent A-level grades will, I imagine, remove any doubts from the mind of a recruiter if you're on track for a 2.1/first so you can definitely apply to MC, SC and US firms if you wanted without having to worry :)
    Firms don’t really care about GCSEs and even if they did you have mitigating circumstances. There isn’t an issue here at all.
    Thanks for the replies, I was surprised they were so positive. Really looking forward to starting my degree now :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.