On CVs and Psychometric Tests

ahmed_a

Nov 29, 2018
1. Which law firms require JUST a CV and cover letter?

2. Which law firms do NOT do psychometric tests? I.e. trad route of application > interview > assessment centre > etc.

These questions apply to both vacation scheme and training contract applications.

Reactions: Salma

Ahmad

Nov 12, 2018
1) I’ve looked at a tonne of application forms and I don’t remember coming across a single firm which only ask for a cover letter and CV. Freshfields ask for a personal statement only so I guess that’s as close as it gets to what you’re looking for but you will still need to fill in the application form.

2) Macfarlanes, Travers Smith, BCLP (they have a verbal reasoning test but at the open day GR said that they don’t use it in making their decision as long as you don’t do terribly at it). Also Blake Morgan, at their open day, GR said they’ve completely changed their recruitment system and there isn’t any exams or even tough assessements/presentations at ACs

Hope that helps! :)

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Re one of the top of my head... Slaugthers, SPB, Cleary, W&C (as good as), Travers Smith, Jones Day, Mayer Brown (as good as) and Freshfields (as good as).

I’m sure there are many others!

This may help:
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/cv-cover-letter-firms.620/#post-6110

Re 2. This will take more time and research. I’m not sure the info is so readily available. Chambers used to do a guide to application process/criteria, but I don’t think that went into granular detail of each part of the AC or assessment used.

Reactions: Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
1. Which law firms require JUST a CV and cover letter?

2. Which law firms do NOT do psychometric tests? I.e. trad route of application > interview > assessment centre > etc.

These questions apply to both vacation scheme and training contract applications.

I will compile a list and post later today :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/l...g-contract/application-and-selection-criteria

@ahmed_a, the above link details every firm in the city and the application/selection criteria for them all, if you need more information about the firm you're applying to, if you double click the firm's name, then the 'Get Hired' tab, it will detail further the full application process of the firm (i.e. whether a CV or cover letter is required or completion of a WGT).

I hope this helps.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Just found out that Winston & Strawn, a relatively small (in London) US firm, only require a CV to shortlist to interview. Understandably, they only get around 200 applications so it might be easier to sift through people than if this figure were far higher.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Just found out that Winston & Strawn, a relatively small (in London) US firm, only require a CV to shortlist to interview. Understandably, they only get around 200 applications so it might be easier to sift through people than if this figure were far higher.

is that for VS or TC? :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.