Paralegal after LPC?

crabtree

Jan 30, 2022
Hi, I am about to embark on the fast track LPC. This finishes in February/March and I don't start my tc until August. So I have around 6 months off to fill.

I need to work to get money. Ideally I would work for maybe 4-5 months. Are there paralegal roles that are available for this length of time? Does anyone know how much (roughly) these jobs pay. This is so I can try and plan a vague budget

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am about to embark on the fast track LPC. This finishes in February/March and I don't start my tc until August. So I have around 6 months off to fill.

I need to work to get money. Ideally I would work for maybe 4-5 months. Are there paralegal roles that are available for this length of time? Does anyone know how much (roughly) these jobs pay. This is so I can try and plan a vague budget
Yes, it is feasible to work for such a short period as a paralegal (or even other admin roles in law firms).

Paralegal salaries vary massively - anything from just over £20k up to mid to high £30k - it will depend on the firm/the opportunity/the level of knowledge or experience required. Sometimes you can earn more than that too if you are being paid hourly as well and doing lots of overtime (which can often be the case if you are a temp paralegal).

About 8 weeks before you want to start working, join a couple of paralegal recruitment agencies and set job alerts on LinkedIn, Law Gazette Jobs and similar websites. You may also want to contact the firm you will be starting your TC with and see if they have any roles they can consider you for.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
If you don't have to pay rent on somewhere may be work abroad in an area not related to law for the fun of it/nominal salary eg in an exotic location in a holiday resort. One of my lawyer children did that.
As for paralegalling - yes one of my sons did that for 3 months full time between PGDL and LPC last summer. There are certainly jobs like that around.

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

These can pay anything from £100 per day (the Flex roles I've been looking at are around this mark, which equates to around the London living wage) to £30 per hour (this tends to be shorter placements but they can roll if the client likes you and they have more for you to do). I've recently been contacted by recruiters using TotallyLegal, CV Library, Reed, and a few other hubs where I have it uploaded. You will find that doors open for you because you have a TC, but the eight-week lead is a good estimate.

I'd also recommend using the TCLA review service to give your CV the once-over, maybe after your university careers service has had a bash.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.