Paralegal job and vacation schemes

p9b

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 29, 2019
I recently secured a position as a paralegal in commercial litigation for a small commercial firm. This will obviously help me immensely and it's great experience, but I also have an upcoming interview for a vacation scheme with a regional law firm. My dilema is, I would have to take 2 weeks leave for this vacation scheme IF I got offered it. I have already decided I would not want to to do my training contract at that firm for location reasons, but I still would be eager to do the vacation scheme because its great experience. SO my dilema is, if I got offered this vacation scheme, is it worth prioritising it over my employment even though I would not want to do a subsequent training contract there? My employers wouldn't be too happy as I am relatively new and it would mean they would know I am looking for other opportunities, so I'm not really sure which is more important

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Vacation Schemes are work experience.

You are going to have work experience from being a paralegal.

The benefit of doing a VS is that you are often interviewed for a TC at the end.

If you are not interested in securing a TC with that firm, I'd suggest sticking with your paralegal work. However, if you think you could secure paralegal work again very quickly, then doing the VS may be interesting. I imagine this would all depend on your financial situation and commitments.

Just remember - People secure TC's having not done VS's! It is possible. They are not the be-all and end-all of applications (save for firms who exclusively recruit from their VS of course).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.