Paralegal jobs - are they worth it?

Varun S

Aug 28, 2018
I have a high 2:1 from a top 10 RG university etc, but I was very unfocused as to what I wanted from my law degree, It was only in the last few months of my degree when few of my friends bagged a TC that I got the urge to think about my future. I spent most of my university time playing cricket which although was extremely fun, is not proving to be beneficial (lol).

My two main hindering factors are my appaling interview skills and a lack of work experience in the commercial sector.

I have no plans to self-fund a TC.

So, I was wondering if there is anybody out there who has bagged a paralegal role at a corporate firm? and secondly, whether paralegal roles are worth it - in the sense that you are able to acquire commercial awareness, the insights of the law industry etc. Do they help you in getting a TC?

Last edited:
Reactions: grounds_coffee

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I have a high 2:1 from a top 10 RG university etc, but I was very unfocused as to what I wanted from my law degree, It was only in the last few months of my degree when few of my friends bagged a TC that I got the urge to think about my future. I spent most of my university time playing cricket which although was extremely fun, is not proving to be beneficial (lol).

My two main hindering factors are my appaling interview skills and a lack of work experience in the commercial sector.

I have no plans to self-fund a TC.

So, I was wondering if there is anybody out there who has bagged a paralegal role at a corporate firm? and secondly, whether paralegal roles are worth it - in the sense that you are able to acquire commercial awareness, the insights of the law industry etc. Do they help you in getting a TC?

You can definitely work on your interviewing skills.

To answer your second question: sure, a paralegal role will help you to convince firms that you have an interest in commercial law, especially if you have no experience in the area already. It will also help somewhat with commercial awareness, although there are many other ways to develop commercial awareness. And you will still need to put the work in to cover other aspects of commercial awareness.

It's hard to recommend the paralegal route before knowing: Do you have any existing legal or commercial work experience? Have you attended any open days or firm events? What extracurricular activities do you have?

You may be able to secure winter vacation schemes if you nail down your application and have some of the experiences I mention above.

I would also note that if you haven't done the LPC, a paralegal role may be harder to secure.

If I recall, @Selma95 mentioned applying to paralegal roles. She may have some thoughts on this.

Reactions: Varun S and Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    You can definitely work on your interviewing skills.

To answer your second question: sure, a paralegal role will help you to convince firms that you have an interest in commercial law, especially if you have no experience in the area already. It will also help somewhat with commercial awareness, although there are many other ways to develop commercial awareness. And you will still need to put the work in to cover other aspects of commercial awareness.

It's hard to recommend the paralegal route before knowing: Do you have any existing legal or commercial work experience? Have you attended any open days or firm events? What extracurricular activities do you have?

You may be able to secure winter vacation schemes if you nail down your application and have some of the experiences I mention above.

I would also note that if you haven't done the LPC, a paralegal role may be harder to secure.

If I recall, @Selma95 mentioned applying to paralegal roles. She may have some thoughts on this.

Thanks Jaysen!

Varun, I have only just started applying for paralegal roles but I’ll try my best to answer your questions.

I agree with Jaysen, applying for paralegal roles will convince recruiters that you’re 100% committed to the role of a commercial solicitor and that you know what the role entails. However, as Jaysen has suggested it might be best to develop your experience within commercial law first, whether that would be through high street firms, vac schemes, open days or legal cheek events (highly recommend this!!!!).

With regards to the LPC, it might be difficult for you to secure a paralegal role without the LPC. Before I started the course, I kept wondering why I kept getting rejected for paralegal roles after sending my CV/CL but it is not until you actually complete the LPC modules that you realise why recruiters are soo picky about it.

As Jaysen has suggested, have you considered, in the interim applying for legal administration roles which arguably is the same as a paralegal but less ‘legal’ (lol) or get a part-time job and start winter vac scheme apps now, in preparation for the coming VS/TC cycle?

I hope the above helps. Any questions give me a shout!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Varun S, Jaysen and Nicole

Varun S

Aug 28, 2018
    Thank you to both for such an insightful response.

Okay, paralegaling is out of the door, and Winter Scheme is on my priority list now.

A small question and perhaps a very stupid one.

How do i start building commercial awareness? I have been reading the commercial awareness blogs on your website, which are excellent by the way.

How do I develop this skill?

Do i just start reading FT and see what is out there. What steps does a beginner like me need to take to acquire commercial awareness.

(Honestly, I thought that all I needed was good a levels, a good degree, and il have a job) - so I am VERY BEHIND on all this application game.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi Varun

I graduated last summer and was in a similar situation to you. I hadn’t studied the LPC but managed to secure a paralegal role at a smallish firm with offices in Sussex and London. Working in the litigation department has given me the opportunity to experience a variety of different practice areas, from family to property, wills and probate, and (my favourite) commercial. This has given me a better understanding of ‘practice areas’ and ‘sector focuses’ – terms I struggled to fully appreciate before! It has also allowed me to see what it would be like to train at a firm this size. These experiences have really helped me to decide the type of firm I would like to apply for VSs and TCs at.

Having said this, I have recently handed in my notice as I’m finding it difficult to balance working full time with researching firms and building my commercial awareness – so something to think about if you are wanting to apply for schemes this year.

I hope this helps in some way!

Varun S

Aug 28, 2018
    Thank you so much 'bugsy malone' and ooo yes that glossary should help me understand the commercial stories a lot better !!

I think I may have shot myself in the foot by applying for LLM. I have a place at LSE for Corporate law, as I perhaps unwisely thought that the best way to understand the corporate law is to do it.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you to both for such an insightful response.

Okay, paralegaling is out of the door, and Winter Scheme is on my priority list now.

A small question and perhaps a very stupid one.

How do i start building commercial awareness? I have been reading the commercial awareness blogs on your website, which are excellent by the way.

How do I develop this skill?

Do i just start reading FT and see what is out there. What steps does a beginner like me need to take to acquire commercial awareness.

(Honestly, I thought that all I needed was good a levels, a good degree, and il have a job) - so I am VERY BEHIND on all this application game.

I was in a similar position during university. I spent most of my three years interested in a different career, so when I decided on commercial law, I had to play a lot of catch-up.

I suggest the following to start:
    • Find law firms you are interested in and attend as many law firm events/open days as you can (you will develop your awareness of what lawyers do in different practice areas).
    • You don't have to read the FT, especially if you are beginner and find it confusing. Find a source that you like for your business news and get into a routine of reading it daily. I used to like the BBC News app. Finimize is also good.
    • When you are more comfortable with business topics, consider adding the FT into your daily routine.
    • Consider signing up to The Economist (make use of the 12 issues for £12). This will help you to develop your broader commercial awareness and form an opinion on world events.
    The general aim is to try to find a couple of news stories that you are interested in and watch the news unfold over a period of weeks/months. By following the news daily, you will also begin to understand and form an opinion on key business topics.

Reactions: newtothis and Salma

jess889

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2018
    Hi Varun

I graduated last summer and was in a similar situation to you. I hadn’t studied the LPC but managed to secure a paralegal role at a smallish firm with offices in Sussex and London. Working in the litigation department has given me the opportunity to experience a variety of different practice areas, from family to property, wills and probate, and (my favourite) commercial. This has given me a better understanding of ‘practice areas’ and ‘sector focuses’ – terms I struggled to fully appreciate before! It has also allowed me to see what it would be like to train at a firm this size. These experiences have really helped me to decide the type of firm I would like to apply for VSs and TCs at.

Having said this, I have recently handed in my notice as I’m finding it difficult to balance working full time with researching firms and building my commercial awareness – so something to think about if you are wanting to apply for schemes this year.

I hope this helps in some way!

Thank you for sharing!

I'm thinking of doing something similar (stopping work to focus on applications), so that is interesting to hear!

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Thank you for sharing!

I'm thinking of doing something similar (stopping work to focus on applications), so that is interesting to hear!
    Hi Jess

That’s good to hear, I was a bit worried about it but think it’s definitely going to give me a better chance at securing something - fingers crossed!

jess889

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2018
    Hi Jess

That’s good to hear, I was a bit worried about it but think it’s definitely going to give me a better chance at securing something - fingers crossed!

Yep I think so too! I could concentrate on writing good applications and send many more off if I didn't have to do it after work or on weekends.

One thing I'm worried about is being asked in an interview what I've been doing if I'm not workng. Do you have any idea of how you would phrase an answer?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey guys! I was looking at paralegal jobs and I can't seem to find any that don't require you to be a TC holder or have prior paralegal experience. Any tips???

Hey Victoria!

This thread might be of assistance to you - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....egal-legal-assistant-positions.881/#post-5441

Also have you heard of F-LEX (paralegal agency), they really help candidates with short/long term positions within law firms or in house. I would highly recommend applying to them.

I hope this helps.

• 🏆
    Reactions: datguyak and Helena

datguyak

Esteemed Member
    Nov 20, 2018
    Hey guys! I was looking at paralegal jobs and I can't seem to find any that don't require you to be a TC holder or have prior paralegal experience. Any tips???

I have found it particularly difficult to find a commercial law paralegal role without the LPC tbh- i just went for something else (family law)- and honestly it hasnt hindered me in interviews because it shows my commitment to the profession and actually lets me say what's missing from it that commercial law has. Plus easy to use transferable skills because lots of similarities.

I'd recommend just phoning up loads of recruitment agencies and sending them your CV.
    hope that helps :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: ZH and v123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.