Personal Achievement & Personal Impact

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
Hi all, just started going through applications now and just wanted to confirm I'm along the right tracks. The full question is: 'Please tell us about a personal achievement outside of your academic career and how this has impacted on you personally?'

Am I along the right lines in approaching the q as follows?
  • Brief description of achievement (50 mile overnight non-stop challenge walk)
  • Time spent preparing/planning, and how preparation/planning took place (time dedicated; learning)
  • Problems faced (external factors), how these were resolved
  • Personal impact - learning (i.e., goal orientation/perseverance etc.)

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @oost1234 - your answer seems on the right track yes :)

I would just add that for your bullet point on time spent preparing/planning, I would talk about this more broadly as the step you took in order to reach your goal.

Regarding the bullet point on 'problems faced', are you proud of your achievement because of the problems you faced? I think the problems faced section is only really necessary if it ties into your sense of personal achievement i.e. if you feel proud of this achievement because you had to overcome obstacles.

I think definitely as you say, personal impact can be seen as learning/reflection i.e. how you learnt about goal orientation and perseverance. If relevant, have you applied these lessons on goal orientation and perseverance through doing this 50 mile overnight non-stop challenge walk elsewhere in your life? And if so, whereabouts?

Reactions: oost1234

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022

I would just add that for your bullet point on time spent preparing/planning, I would talk about this more broadly as the step you took in order to reach your goal.

Regarding the bullet point on 'problems faced', are you proud of your achievement because of the problems you faced? I think the problems faced section is only really necessary if it ties into your sense of personal achievement i.e. if you feel proud of this achievement because you had to overcome obstacles.

I think definitely as you say, personal impact can be seen as learning/reflection i.e. how you learnt about goal orientation and perseverance. If relevant, have you applied these lessons on goal orientation and perseverance through doing this 50 mile overnight non-stop challenge walk elsewhere in your life? And if so, whereabouts?
Thanks a bunch for this - will keep going on some redrafts of the answer with these factors in mind!

• 🤝
Reactions: NatashaS98

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022

Just had another query, if you could be so kind as to give your opinion - when linking the reflections to practice, would it be wiser to link it to work experience rather than academics given that the question specifically mentions outside of academics? I'm just find it easier to link those specific learning experiences to my Uni work than the work experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just had another query, if you could be so kind as to give your opinion - when linking the reflections to practice, would it be wiser to link it to work experience rather than academics given that the question specifically mentions outside of academics? I'm just find it easier to link those specific learning experiences to my Uni work than the work experience.
I don't think you have to link it to work experience or academia - it is much more about linking it back to you - what you have learned/developed/gained from the experience.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.