AliShanWaryah

Apr 27, 2022
I am a final year law student in Pakistan, doing my LL.B(Hons) with cgpa 3.42. After completion in june 2022, I am shifting in Uk to join my wife over there. So, I want to continue my law career there as a barrister. So far I have came to know that I need a GDL course to qualify for BVC/BPTC. I have made my mind to study PGDL from Uni of Law.
The problem is that it will cost a lot and how it can be managed while living in city like London.
I heard and read in many articles that living and studying in London is very expensive. Normally local students get loans to fund their studies which is not an option for me as I am not citizen yet.
Do any uni provide any scholarships for pgdl?

Is it manageable for a GDL student to fund his GDL and living costs in London by a part time job while studying?
or
Should I postpone my plans regarding GDL until I would have enough savings for GDL?

And Someone told me that your wife can apply for loans for your studies, it is true?
Kindly reply?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am a final year law student in Pakistan, doing my LL.B(Hons) with cgpa 3.42. After completion in june 2022, I am shifting in Uk to join my wife over there. So, I want to continue my law career there as a barrister. So far I have came to know that I need a GDL course to qualify for BVC/BPTC. I have made my mind to study PGDL from Uni of Law.
The problem is that it will cost a lot and how it can be managed while living in city like London.
I heard and read in many articles that living and studying in London is very expensive. Normally local students get loans to fund their studies which is not an option for me as I am not citizen yet.
Do any uni provide any scholarships for pgdl?

Is it manageable for a GDL student to fund his GDL and living costs in London by a part time job while studying?
or
Should I postpone my plans regarding GDL until I would have enough savings for GDL?

And Someone told me that your wife can apply for loans for your studies, it is true?
Kindly reply?
You can do the PGDL part-time, this might be an option if you want/need to work to fund the course and the cost of living in the UK.

The University of Law and other providers (if you choose to study at a different institution) will have scholarships and bursary programmes but many of them won't cover the full cost of the course. You may want to look at this page to see which of the UoL bursaries you might be eligible for: Scholarships and Bursaries | University of Law

Many people struggle to live in London on a full-time salary and not with significant costs like a postgraduate course to cover. Therefore, a part-time job is likely to not be sufficient, although it depends on your personal circumstances (for instance, how much your wife might be earning too).

I don't think your wife will be able to apply for student loans for your studies. She may be able to apply for commercial loans on your behalf, but that will depend on her financial status and credit rating.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.